Friday, March 22, 2024

Friday's Fave Five #778




Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  Thanks everyone for your well wishes for my Mom.  She is still in hospital so the week has still been hectic and tiring.  But I didn't want to miss another week of intentionally looking for blessings in my everyday, put there by God to uplift me.  This is so important for me especially with the more hectic, busy and stressful couple of weeks.  I can tend to get apathetic when overwhelmed, literally just sitting in a stupor staring at the computer or tv.  This weekly intentional discipline is just what I need to keep me on track to noticing the good things and being grateful.  

~ gorgeous weekend ~ last week the weather here was simply stunning.  Sunny and 19*C (66*F).  I was so good to feel that sunshine and warmth.  We've had a very warm winter comparatively speaking, but it was still winter.  It actually felt like spring.  So much so that I washed and packed away all my heavy winter sweaters and took out light spring coats.  But alas, yesterday was the first of four days of predicted continuous spring snow fall.  Good thing I didn't pack up everything.  But last weekends warmth makes me happy to know that in just awhile that will be an everyday thing.  

~ outside play in a snow globe ~ the above being said yesterday's snow was absolutely gorgeous.  It was like being in a snow globe all day.  We had some outside play time with the kids and we all came in with rosy pink cheeks, ready for a nice lunch and rest/nap time.  

~ Banofee Pie ice cream ~ from our local small batch homemade ice cream store I had bought an extra pint back in January when it was a special flavor for that month.  I put it in the big downstairs freezer and then forgot that I had it until I went digging for something this week and there it was hiding under a loaf of bread that was in the wrong spot.  A yummy treat for this week.

~ cute spring/summer purse ~ wasn't on the hunt for one but when I went to my favorite store there it was just calling my name.  At first I left the cute pink purse behind on the rack after humming and hawwing about it.  But when I came home and told hubby he told me to go back and get it for myself.  So who am I to argue?  


~ washers and dryers ~ this week after my umpteenth load of laundry that I got behind on last week, I realized how thankful I am that God allowed me to be born into the this time and place where I can have a washer and dryer right in my home that all I have to do is throw the laundry in and push a few buttons.  I remember watching my Mom as a kid and all the work that her ol' wringer washer was.  And that appliance at that time was actually a great thing.  And heavens, the thought of heating a tub of water over an outdoor fire pit and doing laundry in that with a washboard or hiking to the river, well let's just say I don't think I would made a very good pioneer.  I am very, very grateful for the blessing of a modern washer and dryer.

What were you thankful for this past week?









8 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm sorry you're Mum is still in the hospital. All the toing and froing is exhausting and yes sometimes it's good to just sit and try and recharge the batteries - even if you do miss the plot on the TV show. Ice cream and a new purse help too lol. Hope the weather improves for you soon. We've had some springlike weather but still interspersed with rain. Take care of yourself Susanne x

Faith said...

I'm all about that quote!! That's a GOOD one.

YAY for outdoor play with the little ones....and for the few days that felt like spring!

The purse story made me chuckle......what's your fave store? I'm looking for a new spring/summer purse my self and just can't seem to find one anywhere that says 'buy me".

Modern appliances are SUCH a blessing.

Happy weekend Susanne.

Barbara H. said...

I'm sorry your mom is still in the hospital. I get easily overwhelmed in an overly busy and stressful week, too. Hopefully she'll be well enough to go back home soon.

We've had back-and-forth weather, too, though thankfully no snow since January. Those spring days are sure nice.

I've been mulling how to organize my freezer in order to find things more easily. It's nice to find a surprise we forgot about in there.

How fun to find a cute purse.

Amen to washers and dryers. I can't imagine when washing was an all-day and very hot and physical affair. Well, I can imagine it, but I am so glad we don't live that way now. Though I've often thought we wouldn't have to set aside special times to exercise if we didn't have labor-saving devices. But I still prefer the way things are now.

Melanie said...

I definitely understand your thoughts on washers and dryers! Just the other night, when I had to visit the bathroom, I remember being so thankful for indoor plumbing and my bathroom. I can't imagine having to use those chamber pots of old or worse, going outside to an outhouse.

I'm sorry your mom is still in the hospital. Sending prayers up that she is better very soon.

I've done that before - packing away winter clothing, only for it to turn cold and then I was shivering. I wait until at least May now. This time of the year, things are so changeable. Warm weather one day and two days later snow. At least, we've been spared any more snow where I live.

I've not heard of Banofee Pie. I'm very curious!

I hope you're getting some rest this weekend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne! I didn't know your mom was in the hospital. Will send prayer her way. That ice cream you found stashed away sound yummy. I am wondering what flavor it was. Your purse sounds so cute. So glad you were able to find the good in a stressful week. I hope your mom is out of the hospital soon. Thanks for hosting this opportunity for all of us to look for the good.

nikkipolani said...

Your practice of discipline is inspiring. Was just talking about Hebrews 5:14 how those who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil. It's the practice that hones our skill, isn't it?

Glad you had some beautiful spring-like weather, even if only for a short time -- and then followed by pretty snow. What blessings of beauty.

Your husband has good instincts ;-)

Continuing to pray for your mother.

Schotzy said...

We missed you last week, and pray your mother is on the upswing in her health . Glad you had a lovely week this week. The snow sounds beautiful. That is one thing I really missed here in the mid Atlantic. Hope this new week brings good news and that all will be lovely!
Schotzy

Willow said...

I am super late commenting for FFFs. Traveling does that...
I hope your mom continues to recover and can be released from the hospital soon.
Is your weather better this weekend?
I agree that a washer and dryer is truly a blessing (having lived without both and done my laundry in the river, in a motor powered wringer washer, and hung everything outside to dry). Such modern conveniences do make our lives so much easier.
Happy Sunday to you!