Friday, January 12, 2024

Friday's Fave Five #768




Welcome back to Friday's Fave Five.  I don't know about where you are but winter has arrived with a vengeance in Southern Alberta.  Right now as I type we are on day 3 of frigid temps. -30*C (-22*F) with a "feels like" temp of -43*C (-45.4*F) is what it is in my city right now.  Brrrrr.  But cold weather or not, there is always something to be thankful for.  Please join us as we intentionally focus on blessing in our lives and being thankful for them.

~ back to bible study after a long break ~ Monday night was our first time back to bible study after about a month's break for the holidays.  While the break was really nice in a busy time it also felt really good to get back to it.  It was nice to catch up with the other 2 ladies and then jump right back into our study in Romans where we left off.  I'm thankful for the Word of God and thankful for the 2 ladies I am studying it with.


~ comfort foods ~ when it's cold outside, comfort foods just hit the spot.  And my all time favorite comfort food is a hot bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup.  I had the left overs of a roast chicken in a bag in the freezer and just kept adding veggie bits and pieces to it.  I threw the whole thing in a crockpot yesterday morning, added water, seasoning and a clove of smashed garlic and let it cook away for about 4 hours.  Then I strained out all the cooked veggie scraps and chicken bones and added Ditali pasta, cooked carrots and peas and the chopped up meat from the bones and it was pure comfort in a bowl.  Takes me right back to childhood.  Even the childcare kids loved it and everyone had at least two bowls and some of the had three!  I'm thankful for my crockpot for making a comforting lunch so easy.


~ warmth ~ I finally broke out the extra warm and comfy sweaters, socks, coats and jammies this week.  Up until now the weather has been pretty nice and I haven't needed the ultra warm items. I'm thankful that I have them for when it gets cold and wintery.  I'm also thankful for central heating in my home that keeps it nice and toasty.  I'm especially grateful because I know that not everyone has easy access to these items.


~ surprise lunch ~ Hubby blessed me with a surprise donair lunch one day this week.  He knew I was busy and so just went and got the takeout.  It's a double blessing because the donairs are so big that it not only covers our lunch but we have the leftovers for supper so I didn't have to cook at all that day for us.  I'm thankful that I have a hubby who thinks of me without me having to say anything and likes to lighten the load of me cooking once in awhile.  


~ gift that is still giving ~ For Christmas, Hubby gifted me with a huge box of my favorite chocolates by Master Chocolat Bernard.  I never ever buy these for myself, they are expensive but sooo good.  They are not overly sweet and the filling has so much flavor.   I've been limiting myself to a couple a day so that I really savor and enjoy them though believe me I could easily scarf them down at a much quicker rate.  But this way I look forward to my two either with coffee in the afternoon or after supper.  I'm thankful Hubby gifts me with something he knows I love and would never buy myself.  

What are your blessings from the last week?  













11 comments:

Susan said...

We don't know really cold weather here in So California. Chicken soup is always the best! I plan to make some turkey soup this weekend. That box of chocolate looks great! Stay warm and enjoy your weekend!

Faith said...

I had to google the word "Donair" and discovered it's like what we call Pitas!! I buy Pita bread and stuff them with hummus and veggies.....but mine are small......I did buy one once that was enough for 2 meals because it was HUGE! That was thoughtful of your husband to brave the cold and go out and buy lunch.

LOVE homemade soups in the winter.....it's on my menu for tomorrow night.....

It's feeling more like Spring right now here in eastern NY BUT that's supposed to change Saturday night into Sunday....we are supposed to get winter temps finally. I'm glad because I want Winter when it's supposed to be winter NOT in April!! ha!

I too am thankful for warm sweaters, socks, blankets....Stay cozy this weekend, Susanne!!


Barbara H. said...

Wow, that is so cold. We've been in the 20s and 30s here, and that's not fun. It's supposed to get down to 3 next week. I was once in 20-below 0 at a winter camp--not something I'd want to do again.

The church we're attending is busier than the last couple we've gone to. It's taken me a while to get back into a weekly Bible study. I love it once I get there. Like you said, it was nice to have a break over the busy holidays. Ours started back this week, too, though I was unable to attend due to illness.

That soup sounds so good. I love that idea of keeping scraps in a bag in the freezer for just such a purpose. I'll borrow that. :-)

I'm so glad, too, for central heating and throw blankets and sweaters and such.

I had to look up what a donair is. Sounds so good! I love when my husband suggests take-out, too. And when the take-out is enough for a couple of meals.

Those chocolates sound great, too! I'm that way with Lindt Lindor milk chocolate truffles. I have bought them for myself but decided it's probably not good for me to have them around all the time. I received some for Christmas and have one or two a day.

nikkipolani said...

Totally agree with the return to Bible study, reconnecting with friends, getting back into the discipline. Glad you could do that despite the icebox that is Southern Alberta!

Your soup sounds delicious, warming, and healing. Had me looking up 'donair' -- how thoughtful of your husband and what a delicious choice. Those chocolates with coffee... perfect pairing.

Willow said...

I just came home from my Friday morning Bible study. I agree with you that it is good to be back together studying God's Word.

Sweaters, socks, hats, gloves coats. In the cold weather, they are all wonderful blessings. Blankets, too.

What a sweet hubby to do those things for you!

Have a good week.

ellen b. said...

Happy Friday to you. You do have a very thoughtful husband. What a blessing. I'm going to have to look up donair. Those chocolates do sound fabulous!

ellen b. said...

Oh, they are Gyros! That I know well, yum!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne! Those chocolates sound delicious, as does the soup. Yes, it is nice to get back into our usual routine after some time off, like with your Bible study. Romans is a great book with lots of important things. So glad your week went well even though it is cold where you are! See you again soon. Have a good weekend!

Wendy said...

Those chocolates look yummy and I love a homemade chicken soup. Have a good weekend and stay warm!

a heartful child said...

We dont' have Donairs down here. It's nice to have a thoughtful husband!

Melanie said...

Here I've been whining about our cold temps - until I saw yours! I grew up in upstate NY with temps in the single digits or below freezing and thought nothing about it. Now low 30sF makes me feel frozen!

I'd never heard of a donair so I looked it up. It sounds delicious.

The chocolates look wonderful! I don't know if I could keep myself to 2 a day or not. You're strong!

This week I'm making a pot of chili. I'm going to try your delicious sounding chicken noodle soup!

Stay warm and have a lovely weekend.