Wednesday, January 17, 2024

January 2024 Reading Picks

Here it is the middle of the month and I realized I didn't do a post to log my reading choices for the month.  For 2024 I chose a more relaxed approach to my reading.  It just seemed right for this year somehow.  My one big goal is to read my pile of 27 purchased new books to zero.  I have way more books than that, all gleaned from library sales that I only paid a dollar or two for (not counting those as a purchased book) and all the books I've collected from Little Free libraries.  But this year the focus will be the ones I shelled money out for.  And the others will be a bonus.

So here's my selections for this frosty January.


OLDEST AND NEWEST PURCHASED BOOK

          ~ A Silken Thread by Kim Vogel Sawyer  (finished)
          ~ The Last Exchange by Charles Martin  (finished)


LIBRARY BOOK

          ~ The Year of Jubilee by Cindy Morgan



CURRENTLY LISTENING TO  (audiobooks on the go)

          ~ Making It So by Patrick Stewart
          ~ On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor by Jaime Jo Wright (finished)
          ~ In His Image by Jen Wilkin


NON-FICTION

              (devotional)
          




          
A goal I forgot to mention in my Reading Challenge Goals for 2024 was to write my reviews as soon as I can after I finish a book.  I got behind last year and then got overwhelmed with it and never did catch up.  I missed writing reviews for five or six of them and now it's hard to remember what exactly the book was about and how I really felt about it.  Which is a shame because I really do that for my own benefit.  Hopefully this year I'll stay on better top of that.  

Anyway, any interesting reads that you are into this month?




3 comments:

Karen said...

I just finished Marilla by Susan McCoy. It's her account of Marilla's early life before the Anne of Green Gables series. I enjoyed it very much. Since I've been home, I picked up A Habit Called Faith by Jen Pollock Michel, as a daily read. Today, I read some background info about her, and I'm not sure I would've chosen this had I known :/, but I'm going to stick with it for a while. Checking my TBR pile for my next fiction book.

nikkipolani said...

I agree about how reviews help you recall details! I used to write brief summaries of the story (including the ending) and my general feelings on the book. So I appreciate bloggers like you who do reviews to give a taste of the book beyond the back cover blurb.

I'm not fond of stories about war, especially the Vietnam war. But some friends have invited my mom and me to attend their monthly book club meeting where they will have read The Mountains Sing. I borrowed the library's audiobook. It is devastating to read about cruelty and injustice, but in some ways even more so to see many of the characters putting their faith in something that cannot help.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Susanne - I really need to read that book "When You Love a Prodigal." All of your reading choices for the month sound very good. Will look forward to your reviews. See you again soon! P.S. I am probably taking a little break from FFF for a couple of weeks. A lot going on here. Have a great week!