Sunday, January 07, 2024

2024 Reading Challenge and Goals

New Year, time for a new reading challenge.  How did 2023 go in the reading department you ask?  Not too bad. I missed my Good Reads goal of 40 books by two, but I did get a lot of the other goals accomplished. So onto a new year.  In looking back over what I did read last year, even though I did manage 15 of the books off my own shelves a lot of those were books that I got a Free Little Libraries or I found at library sales for a couple of bucks.  I only read 5 of the books I actually purchased either full price or discounted price at BookOutlet.  This kind of really surprised me.  That's why I kind of like setting goals because then I can see what's happening with the books I actually shell out hard earned cash for.  Though one look at my overflowing new purchase book bag should have been a major clue!!



And believe it or not, I actually forgot two books that were sitting in my non-fiction stacks.  These books have all been purchased over the last 4 - 5 years.  So this is going to be my goal for this year.  There are 26 books total and my goal is to read them to zero.  Meaning reading this stack is going to be first priority before I put any more books on library hold or reach for ones that are second hand that I've gotten for free.  I'll put a goal of at least 2 per month from this pile before I can get a library book or another from my free books pile.  That way it will still let me get to some of those throughout  the year.  I may surprise myself and chug right through this stack without looking elsewhere.  We'll see how it plays out.  Now the bigger trick is going to be not purchasing anymore this year.  Yikes.  






And  one more goal I am inserting in here at a later date is to keep on top of my reviews.  Last year I got a bit behind and then overwhelmed with being behind and so about a half dozen books did not get a review.  I really do this for my own benefit so it's kind of disappointing that I do not have a description and how I felt about those books but at this point if I can remember what it was about I don't really remember how I felt about them other than whether I liked them or not. So no more procrastination!

Do you have any reading goals this year or are you a total mood reader?
Do you have a crazy to read pile too or am I the only one that can't resist having a stack of brand new books?




4 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. Honestly, I have a couple of bookcases filled with books I want to read. I love your goal of reading what you already have, and I am trying to follow suit. If there is something specific I want to read, I try to get it from the library, but usually end up ordering it from Amazon. I am trying to limit purchases at thrift stores of books that look good and that I am willing to take a chance on. I set a reading goal on Goodreads, but this is a year when I am making very few specific goals. I hope you new year is off to a good start. See you again soon!

Barbara H. said...

I participate in a few reading challenges, but they all intersect with what I read normally: a nonfiction challenge and a historical fiction challenge as well as one to read what we already have on hand. I like having some intentionality to what I read, but I also want the freedom to just pick up something that grabs me. I have piles of unread books, too, but I keep adding to them. I figure having a TBR pile means I'll always have something to look forward to. :)

Faith said...

The only books I own are non fiction CHristian ones like Billy Graham, Max Lucado, Gary Thomas and certain small group studies i wanted to keep. All of the others which are FEW are classics I wanted to own but have already read and probably won't re-read. Things like Gone with the Wind, a few memoirs and a book of poetry. Actually two books of poetry because i received Amanda Gorman's amazing poem for christmas!!

I ONLY get fiction books from the library. I no longer buy fiction because i don't want to then have to donate it somewhere or have it sit around. OH i also own an entire small bookcase of hiking guides, travel books (Paris, Rome, etc) and some hiking meditations and ADK history books. Those are collectibles and of course i read through the hiking guides to learn about the trail i'm hiking, etc.

The Book of Lost Friends that you show in your pile was EXCELLENT!! I reviewed it on my blog a while back. Right now the book i'm reading is one i'm borrowing from a friend. She wants it back. It's intense. but good!

my over all reading goal is to read 60 books including 4 non fiction NOT counting the small group study book I just started for my upcoming small group i'm leading this winter/early spring.

Good luck! I look forward to your reviews.

nikkipolani said...

Sigh. I've never had reading goals. Sometimes there's a book people rave about or a plot summary that intrigued me. But then I get into the book and I just can't finish it.

I keep a TBR list in my library's Overdrive "wishlist" (or Hoopla's favorites list). When I'm on the look out for something else/next to read, I see if any of those are available.

For nonfiction, roomie's got stacks and stacks of books, many of which interest me, but more for study purposes than for leisurely reading. (She leans towards theological books)