Friday, September 22, 2023

Friday's Fave Five #752


Hi everyone.  It's Friday and that's our day to intentionally slow ourselves enough to think about what was a blessing in our lives this week and that the time to be thankful and grateful.  We all lead busy lives.  Our culture not only encourages it but expects it.  In the running from one thing to another it can be so easy to lose sight of all the good blessings that actually make up our very ordinary days.  Even though all my "kids" are now adults, I find if I let myself, I can still get overly busy to the point of just existing on the merry go round.  I must push that "emergency stop button" and get off and intentionally looking for my blessings does just that.  It allows a pause in the busy, resets my focus and actually helps me to make decisions in line with my values.  But it has to be intentional as this world is only to glad to suck us into it's vortex of overly busy, always wanting, always searching for the next best thing craziness.  Looking for my blessings makes me see how much I really have to be thankful for.  Won't you join us as we develop the discipline of pausing to be grateful.




~ signs of fall ~ The signs of fall are definitely with us in my area.  One of my favorites is the leaves turning yellow against the gorgeous pure blue sky.  It just brings happiness looking at the lovely colors fall brings.  




~ new to me bird sighting ~ this was on a walk when we visited my daughter.  So technically not this week and not in my area but when I was looking through pics in my camera there it was.  I always get excited when I see a bird I haven't seen before out in the wild.  After putting the picture in Google it tells me they are Cormorants (probably the Double Crested Variety).  Spotting wildlife I've never seen before is always a blessing.  There is so much to this world God created. 




~ homemade salsa ~ I was gifted with a box of tomatoes from a Hutterite colony.  They were all pretty ripe so I had to use them right away.  A bunch has been giving us yummy toasted tomato sandwiches for lunch or sliced tomatoes for supper but a whole bunch went into making homemade salsa.  There is nothing like home made.  I don't can so I froze them into 2 cup containers and we'll enjoy lots of nachos with them through the winter.  This was just the first batch, I'll be making another this weekend.



~ Saturday matinee ~ Hubby and I have not been on a movie date, just the two of us since before covid.  This past Saturday we went to a noon showing of Mission Impossible:  Dead Reckoning pt 1.  Because it was noon the theatre only had a few other people there and the popcorn was fresh.  It was fun to have a date together at the movies after so long a hiatus.

~ open spot filled ~ a dayhome child graduating to kindergarten left an opening in my dayhome and this week it was filled.  I am thankful it was filled fairly quickly with not too much interviewing.  The interview process is always the most nerve wracking for me.  Most people only go through a few job interviews in their life time but as a home child care educator we are constantly in interviews with families.  It's not an easy process, I interview the families as much as they are interviewing me as we both try and determine if we are a good fit for each other.  But it's over and done and the spot is filled with a sweet 3 year old.  I can now breathe a bit easier again for a while.

What have been your favorite blessings from the last week?







10 comments:

Barbara H. said...

We're just starting to see signs of fall here, too. Not the pretty vibrant colors yet, but it's exciting to know they are coming.

I don't think I have ever seen a Cormorant, either. How fun!

That's a nice use of ripe tomatoes. I'm not a salsa fan, but my husband uses it almost every day.

We haven't been on a movie date in a while, either. I love when there are only a few people in the theater.

I think interviews would not be my favorite, either. But it's good to have your dayhome spot filled.

Faith said...

OOOH....we see cormorants all the time here on the East Coast....well...not in my area of NYS but when we go to the Atlantic and especially Plymouth area where dave's folks live. Glad you got to see these birds. we love watching them dive for fish in the ocean.

SALSA and homemade!! Looks absolutely delish.

We are just beginning to see a little yellow and red in our area on the leaves....in fact I posted some pics of a walk i took with some early Autum color. Our area will peak later this year due to the hot wet summer bu i'm ok with a longer autumn...it's one of my fave times of the year.

I'm glad the interview process went well and you have a new little one to watch and play with. I'm betting the parents love you!!

Have a good weekend!! (I've seen that book at the library by Amanda Cox...how is it??)

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. You have some lovely pictures in this post. I don't think I have ever seen a Cormorant except in pictures. It's so cool that you saw one in person. Our temperatures are now fall-like here and the leaves are starting to turn. So glad you got the opening in your day home filled so easily. The fresh tomatoes and homemade salsa make my mouth water! Have a great weekend. See you again soon!

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I am thankful for this post because I share your thoughts on slowing down and being grateful. Your fall picture is lovely. Happy fall!

Susan said...

Glad to hear you filled your spot quickly! Good idea to make salsa and freeze it. I love to cook meat in small pieces, add zucchini and potatoes, then add the salsa and simmer. Enjoy your weekend!

nikkipolani said...

For once, I think we (in SoCal) are somewhat aligned with the rest of the country in getting some fall weather. Love seeing the signs in the colors of your trees.

I've seen cormorants before, but didn't realize they had webbed feet! Great photo.

Great use of overflow tomatoes (and ones you didn't have to grow and fight pests for!).

How lovely that you got through an interview process and gained a sweet one in the process.

Willow said...

The leaves are just beginning to change at home. And along our trail, we are seeing the signs that autumn is here.
That salsa sounds so yummy! What a blessing to get all those tomatoes. I know it is overwhelming when they ALL come ripe, but you will appreciate them in the winter.
Yay on getting that opening filled with so much ease.
Have a good weekend!

Gattina said...

The trees are still green here and it's not cold at all either. I can't say that I had blessings this week, my back still hurts from my fall !

Karen said...

Love the photo of the cormorants! They are one of my favorite birds. They look almost prehistoric and I LOVE their feet!haha

I'm not one for adventure movies, but I do like the Mission Impossible movies. We'll be sure to check it out when it starts streaming.

Schotzy said...

It sounds like you, like I do best when we stretch our spiritual muscle! It does sound like a lot,mouth I am positive you will be blessed!