Friday, August 18, 2023

Friday's Fave Five #747



Well posting last week just didn't happen, so giving this week a try.  Thanks for all your kind wishes and your comments that you have left me.  It means a lot. Mom is still in hospital and getting quite bored with it all.  No word yet on when she can be discharged.  But though I have been unable to post because of time, there have still been blessings where I noticed God's gifts in each day.  Through stress that is there, His grace has met and exceeded it all.  And for that I am most thankful.  So onto a few blessings from the last couple of weeks.

~ a sister to share the load ~ I am so grateful for a sister who shares the load of caring for my mom.  I don't know what I would do without her or if she lived far away.  But she is here and we share the work and the decisions, bounce thoughts and feelings off of each other and even share some laughs through it all and that is a great gift.

~ watching my younger daughter with my Mom ~ my youngest, who is 28, has been down a couple of times to visit and be with her "Nagymama" (grandma in Hungarian).  It's evident how very much she loves her.  Just in the way she sits close, and hold her hand, smiles at her, talks with her.  One day she gave her a facial massage.  She is very good with seniors in general and has so much patience and talks naturally with them.  She even engages with the different roommates Mom has had and talks so naturally with them and shows interest in them.  It's beautiful to watch.

~ caring Hubby ~ seeing the pressure and stress of me having to go back to work with Mom still in the hospital, my sweet man has been doing what he can to relieve some of it for me.  One of the ways that he gives has been bringing home takeout regularly so I don't have to worry about what to cook.  He doesn't cook a lot himself and this is his way of saying, "I see what your going through and see that you're tired and I want to relieve that for you".  He's run and got groceries without me even asking and has helped clean up.  I really appreciate the ways he says I Love You and I'm there for ya.

~ sweet treat ~ and speaking of which, when he ran to the bakery to get bread he came home with a little treat for me:  a strawberry and whipped cream croissant drizzled in chocolate.  Yummy!

~ bike rides ~ we've managed to squeeze in a few bike rides in spite of everything.  Something I intentionally made time for on the weekends.  It's something me and Hubby love doing together and it really helps to relieve some of the stress, being out in the fresh air and sunshine, moving my body and letting my mind focus on the ride and the scenery.  Thankful we have lots of nice riding areas in my city.

What have been your favorite blessings from the week? 







I like this quote.  It reminds me that it takes being intentional in my thinking to notice my blessings and live a grateful life.  Have a great week everyone!







12 comments:

Wendy said...

It's good to hear you have support around you as you navigate this difficult time. And that you made time for the bike rides - sometimes you just have to switch off from all the stress and it's good that you were able to. I hope you can find time to do it again this weekend Susanne.

Gattina said...

That's nice that you get help and support from your hubby and sister. I know how important it is, as I had nobody, Rick had lost his mind and I couldn't communicate with him anymore that was very hard. My son tried to help but he is a bit clumsy when it comes to feelings.

Faith said...

That quote is perfect!

It's an honor to pray for people we have never met in person but through the blogging community. Your situation with your mom is still on my daily prayer list.

Your daughter has a true gift! Soemtimes I've struggled with talking to the elderly. (it was easy with my dad and uncles/aunts). It takes a special person to not get impatient with the elders in our lives.

I love that you and your sister are near each other and can share that load. That's a huge blessing

Yay for bike riding together. Dave HAS a bike. He literally hasn't taken it out of the shed since about 2015. I miss riding with him. I seriously need him to get it going again or sell it. I love riding and it's on my agenda for Sunday. It's such a great exercise for cardio health too!! And yay for Hubby bringing home some meals!

I also wrote about a croissant!!! Great minds eat alike :)

HAPPY WEEKEND, susanne. I hope you have time to relax and recharge.

Barbara H. said...

I'm so thankful everyone is pulling together and helping out while your mom is in the hospital. Her being bored there is a sure sign she's feeling better. :) I hope and pray she continues to improve and gets to go home soon.

Your daughter and husband are treasures.

That croissant sounds amazing.

It's so good you've been able to get out for bike rides with everything else you've had going on.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. You are carrying a heavy load right now, and it is so good that you have the help and support of your husband and family members. I hope you get the opportunity to rest and recharge this weekend. Bike rides sounds like an excellent way to do just that. See you again soon!

Jennifer said...

I have always enjoyed these posts and your link-up (I even decided to join today!) and today is no exception. Isn't it wonderful - and comforting - to realize that family (your sister, daughter and husband) is among your sweetest blessings this week?! Saying an extra pray for you, your mom and family today!

ellen b. said...

That last saying reminds me of one of the shields up at VBS that said 'Train your Brain'. How wonderful to share the load with your sister. Your daughter's love and care is so admirable. Hope you can fit a ride in this weekend and that you aren't experiencing smoke from Kelowna fires. Take care...

nikkipolani said...

Loved reading about your daughter's care and tangible love for your mom. May God bring her healing and able to return to her routines.

Glad you've had your sister and husband to help in practical ways as well as with gifts of presence. Well, and treat! Wow, that croissant sounds amazing.

marina said...

Your husband is so caring and attentive!!! and he brings you treats!!! 😀. I am glad your mom is doing better and your daughter and sister have been able to visit her too: so nice to be able to be with family. My mom lives 3000 miles away (but I'll go and see her at the end of the month, finally). Best wishes.

Willow said...

I love how your family is pulling together to help. The bond with grandparents is very special to watch. I remember the times my children would just sit with their grandfather while he dozed off, and then chat with him when he woke up.
Your hubby is a keeper for sure!
Glad you got those bike rides in. That's important for your health.

Karen said...

It sounds like you have a strong support system in your family. I love how your daughter is so good with your mom and other patients. What a special young lady. Let your family take care of you! It's so great that they want to do that and shows how much they love you.

Karen said...

It's so good to have a family that jumps in to help. I'm glad you're getting the support you need. Good for you for fitting in the bike ride. That makes a world of difference on one's outlook. I hope the fires aren't making things too uncomfortable up there. Sending prayers.