Saturday, August 19, 2023

Easy Chicken Biryani

With everything going on the last couple of weeks I have needed to find easy fix meals that didn't take a long time to cook.  There were a few new ones I tried.  Some were hits and some were misses.  This one was definitely a hit and it will go into my favorites file.  We love Indian flavors and I've seen Biryani on menus at our favorite Indian restaurant but have never ordered it.  This one was so easy to make and tasted so good with just the right amount of heat.  I love my heat in dishes but it doesn't always have to be at the forefront to make it delicious and this was spiced just right.  

I did adapt the recipe from here.   I added chicken as Hubby likes his protein and doesn't feel satisfied without meat in our evening meal.  And I changed the amounts of a few vegetables according to our tastes and what I had on hand but the original recipe would be fantastic for a vegetarian meal if you used just the olive oil and left out butter or ghee.  I made it in my ceramic covered cast iron and it turned out perfect and made enough for two meals for Hubby and I and we are no small eaters.  I think I will be trying out many more recipes from Dinner Then Dessert


EASY CHICKEN BIRYANI






~ 2 large or 3 smaller chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
~ 1 Tbsp olive oil
~ salt and pepper to taste

In a ceramic covered cast iron or heavy dutch oven, heat olive oil.  Season cut chicken with salt and pepper and add to hot oil.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through.  Remove to plate and set aside.


~ 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
~ 1 1/2 Tbsp butter or ghee
~ 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
~ 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
~ 1 Roma Tomato, finely minced or diced
~ 1/2 cup water
~ 1 carrot, sliced into thin coins
~ 1 large potato, peeled and cut into small bites sizes
~ 1 red bell or sweet pepper, cut into bites
~ 2 cup cauliflower florets
~ 1 1/2 tsp salt
~ 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
~ 1/2 tsp black pepper
~ 2 tsp garam masala
~ 1 tsp ground coriander
~ 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
~ 1 tsp cumin
~ 1/2 tsp cinnamon
~ 4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
~ 2 cups basmati or jasmine rice, rinsed & drained
~ 1/2 cup frozen peas


Add olive oil and butter to the pot over med high heat.  Add onion and cook, stirring until translucent.  Add in garlic and ginger and stir for about 30 seconds until fragrant.  Add tomatoes and water.  Bring to simmer and cook until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.

Add salt, cayenne, black pepper, garam masala, coriander, tumeric, cumin and cinnamon.  Stir.

Add carrot, potato, bell pepper  and cauliflower.  Stir to coat vegetables well.  Add in broth and bring to a boil.  Add rinsed rice, reduce heat to low and cook for 18 - 20 minutes.

During last minute of cooking, add peas and cooked chicken raising the lid of the pot as minimally as possible, giving a light stir just to get the peas into the hot rice. Turn off heat and let sit 5 minutes.   Stir and serve.




NOTES:
Original recipe calls for peas to be added with the rest of the veggies, so I'm assuming it is fresh peas.  I only had frozen and hate them mushy, so I only wanted them basically heated through.  They turned out perfect. 










6 comments:

Billie Jo said...

This looks and sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing. I have never made an Indian dish before. I think I can do this! Have a nice evening.

Jennifer said...

I think I would really enjoy this - vegetarian style! I hope that your week ahead is a calm and peaceful one. With lots of good eating:)

Faith said...

omgosh we LOVE anything Biryani but especially chicken biryani or just veggie one. (for added protein I like black beans mixed in if not doing chicken). THANK YOU for posting a recipe!!! We usually order take out from our fave Indian place but that gets pricey. THANK you for this amazing recipe!!!

Wendy said...

Sounds delicious but I'm curious - does the chicken get added back in just at the end?

Susanne said...

Wendy: Oops, yes it sure does. You can add either with the peas or in the end and stir. I guess I forgot to put that in the instructions. I've edited it.

nikkipolani said...

I've so seldom seen fresh peas in stores, I'm sure you can add frozen peas at the very very end. Then they'll only warm and will not get mushy. I like frozen "petite peas" I get from my local Trader Joe's since they're bright and snappy, never starchy or mushy.

Thanks for the link and to your version of the biryani!