Friday, June 30, 2023

Friday's Fave Five #740





Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  It's a hot one today.  We're sitting in a heat warning.  Usually even if we have hot days our nights cool off so that it's tolerable but a heat warning is called when our nights won't be cooling off any lower than 16*C  (60.8*F).  And this is usually August's kind of weather and here we are already experiencing it.  All that to say the heat yesterday and all the activities with the kids saw me totally exhausted and I totally forgot to do my FFF post in the evening.  But a wee bit late than never.  Don't want to miss the opportunity to look for the blessings over the week and be grateful.  



~ time off ~ today starts one of my vacation weeks and I am so happy.  I really need to have some time off.  This year because Canada Day (a stat holiday) falls on Saturday, I took today in lieu of and then took next week as my holiday week.  This is going to give me 10 wonderful days off.  No plans except to sleep until I'm ready to get up, read lots, do some cleaning and organizing and maybe a day trip here or there.  Can't wait.  

~ vegetable garden gifts ~ one of my dayhome parents gifted me with treasures from her garden: romaine and iceberg lettuces, bok choy and swiss chard have all been enjoyed this past week.  I love flowers but am not a vegetable gardener so these gifts of fresh produce are a real blessing.  

~ lunch with a girlfriend ~  a very dear friend invited me for lunch and then treated me to a lovely al fresco lunch at a favorite restaurant patio.  It was so relaxing and so nice to be out with her as we haven't had a chance to visit for a while.  Time spent with a good friend is always a blessing.

~ side trip to a fave nursery scoring some great deals ~ after our lunch we decided to do a little shopping and found ourselves at a decor store (her choice) and then drove out to a nursery (my choice).  I knew she hadn't yet had the time to do her flower pots and my favorite nursery was clearing out of their annuals.  You could choose a small, medium or large box and fill them for the steal of a deal of $10, $20 and $30.  They had lots left and she was able to do her two pots by her front door and then some for $20.  I walked away with a small box ($10) that gave me 11 containers of flowers, enough to do another pot and fill in 3 of my other pots that looked a little less lush than I wanted.  I think next year I may forgo buying most my flowers in May and wait for this clearance.  It's a pretty great deal.





~ spontaneous visit with my sister ~ due to 3 separate major accidents that all happened within the same half hour and that literally closed all access to the side of town she lives on, my sister found herself spending the evening at my place until the roads opened up.  We had a nice unexpected evening chatting and laughing together.  





What are you grateful for today?












9 comments:

Barbara H. said...

It's been really hot here, too. We had an outing at a park Saturday that started with an overcast sky, but we were baking after a little while and cut short the rest of our time there.

Yay for time off! Hope you have a great week.

We have neighbors who share from their garden, too. Then we just learned the church we've been visiting and will probably join has a place people can put their garden "extras" so other people can take them home.

Glad you had a good time with your friend! I missed lunch with a friend this week when she wasn't feeling well, but hope to get together later in July.

What great deals at the nursery!

Willow said...

Oh, all the flowers and veggies! Gardens are just the best to make us happy.
Fun lunch with your friend.
Even though it wasn't great for all the other people who were stranded (or hurt) in those accidents, it was wonderful for you to have that time with your sister.
Enjoy your long holiday!

Gattina said...

We had our heatwave in June, far too early and now it's cool again 23 ° and the nights not more than 13/14. That's nice (in a way) that your sister got stuck in the traffic at least you could chat together !!

marina said...

Enjoy your vacation! You are right: time spent with a friend is always a blessing.
I love those blue flowers.

Barbara H. said...

A note for Marina--welcome to FFF. Unfortunately, last week and this week, your link took me to the WordPress dashboard instead of your blog.

Wendy said...

Well I hope you're enjoying your time off now and had a nice lay in today. Surprise visits are always nice. I never worry about anyone coming unexpectedly - take me as you find me is my motto on that front. Sounds like you got a good deal at the nursery.

ellen b. said...

Hooray for a holiday day off and a week of vacation! Sounds like a wonderful time to take it. You had a good week filled with a variety of blessings. Happy for you. Happy Canada Day to you and yours!

Faith said...

I'm so sorry I had to miss doing a FFF but we knew that at the B and B Inn where we were staying in Vermont, would have virtually no cell service and VERY spotty internet. Plus, for once, I wanted to be unplugged (other than posting pics on FB of various scenes while waiting for Dave or while we waited for food, etc). It felt good to NOT have our laptops!!

I love that your student's family gifted you with fresh produce. YUMMY. I have a swiss chard recipe on my blog that I really enjoy although no one else in the family does so I don't make it very often. I also LOVE romaine lettuce.

That was so kind of your friend to treat you to lunch outdoors...one of my fave things is to eat outdoors.

We had some VERY humid weather in VT which is odd for the mountains.....temps were perfect (mid 70s and low 80s ) but the rain and humidity the first 2 days were icky. thankfully it dried out and sunshine was in full force for our two big events.

You got a GREAT deal at that nursery. I LOVE flowers. I'm currently trying to grow Zinnias in my deck container. From seed for the first time ever. They did push through the dirt while we were away (we arrived home late last night) but wowza...my plants are water logged. Eastern NY has had a LOT of humid, sticky rain and now the haze from canada fires is back. Supposed to get better tomorrow.

ENJOY your vacation week!!! I'm loving not waking up to an alarm clock and having extra reading time. I'm reading a book you'd probably enjoy.

HAPPY WEEKEND!

nikkipolani said...

Hurray for a nice stretch of time off! Hope you do get the sleep and rejuvenation and time to just think/do other things.

How refreshing that lunch with your friend sounds. Blessing indeed.

WOW. That's quite the deal for annuals! And a great way to really clear out fast. Glad you got some real beauties.