Thursday, November 03, 2022

November Reading Possibilities

Well it is November and for reading that means I participate in Non-Fiction November.  All that means is I make a concerted effort to read mostly or all non-fiction for this month.  Although I do like memoirs and autobiographies and read through them easier, non-fiction dealing with particular topics is a bit tougher for me.  I find they are repetitive and take a long time to make their points and I get slogged down in that.  But this month always helps me make that push.  The last couple of years I have found that audiobooks have helped a lot with my non-fiction reading.  

The Read Your Bookshelf Challenge prompt for this month is "A Book That Makes You Feel Cozy or Nostalgic".  The prompt is a bit odd for me as it begs the quesiton:  "How do I know what book makes me feel cozy or nostalgic if I haven't yet read it?".  But  I did find a couple that brought up thoughts of nostalgia or coziness so I chose a Julie Andrews autobiography because if anyone makes me feel nostalgic is Julie Andrews with memories of childhood viewings of Mary Poppins and Sound of Music.  Still two of my favorite all time movies.  I also threw in the Francine Rivers collection to get another story read out of there because biblical fiction always makes me feel cozy.  I'm on #4 in the series:   Unspoken.   And the book by Phil Callaway is in there for this prompt because he is a humorist and his books always make me laugh and he talks a lot about family stories so there is nostalgia there.  

The other books chosen are just random books off my non-fiction pile that caught my attention.  And a fiction book in case I get too bogged down in the non-fiction.




READ YOUR BOOKSHELF CHALLENGE & NON-FICTION NOVEMBER

          ~ Home Work: A memoir of my Hollywood Years by Julie Andrews with Emma Walton Hamilton
             (finished)
          ~ Lineage of Grace: Unspoken (Bathsheba's story) by Francine Rivers
          ~ Job by Charles Swindoll
          ~ It's Not Supposed to Be This Way by Lysa TerKeurst
          ~ Keeping My Sister's Secrets by Beezy Marsh
          ~ All My Mother's Secrets by Beezy Marsh


BOOK PURCHASED IN 2020 -2022

          ~ Facing Fear  by Nik Wallenda
          ~ You'll Get Through This by Max Lucado

          ~ Little Broken Things by Nicole Baart (finished)


AUDIOBOOKS

          ~ Ask It by Andy Stanley  (finished)
          ~ What Your Soul Needs for Stressful Times by Holley Gerth



What are you reading in November?  Any good non-fiction on your radar?





4 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I am a reader. I could read all day, every day! I mostly read fiction, thrillers, and suspense. But I do enjoy nonfiction from time to time. I especially enjoy books about JFK and his life. My current favorite author is A. R. Torre. And for cozy holiday-themed books, Leslie Meier is the best!

Barbara Harper said...

I can read biographies and memoirs easily, but I need to take other nonfiction one at a time. Unless they are just informational, they're often encouraging the reader to do or change something. Too much of that at once, and my head just swims witho9ut retaining much. I have a friend who might read or listen to 4-6 nonfiction books at once. I don't know how she does it.

The Julie Andrews one sounds interesting. We have a book about Dick Van Dyke that we had gotten for my m-i-l years ago. I had hung onto it after her death, thinking I might read it some day.

I'm reading Tim Challies' book about coping with his son's sudden death (Seasons of Sorrow) and a different book about joy that I quoted from last FFF. I hadn't planned to have those two going at the same time, but they do balance each other, I guess.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I really liked Lysa TerKeurst's book, "It's Not Supposed to Be This Way." It looks like you have some really good reading possibilities for the upcoming month. I will look forward to seeing what you choose. See you again soon.

Faith said...

Well i own BOTH Julie's memoirs and i love love loved reading them. Oh my goodness she was my absolute fave actress when I was a little girl. Because of her role in THe Sound of Music, and our music teacher in good ole Herkimer NY, i went on to study music education although my masters is in Ed Psych/Special Ed as I wanted to teach special needs preschoolers. But she was my inspiration for 17 years of piano study and voice lessons!! You will love her books.

Those non fiction ones about secrets sound intriguing. Let me know in an email what those are about....i may add some non fiction to my list as our book study is half way done.