Saturday, August 27, 2022

Don't Overthink It by Anne Bogel ~ Audio Book Review

Hello, my name is Susanne and I am a chronic over-thinker and experience "analysis paralysis" on a regular basis!  

That is why I got this book. Anne Bogel takes us through what overthinking is and what it isn't, giving us signs of the over thinker to start helping us to see that devoting overly large parts of our mental energy to relatively insignificant things is a drain.  How we choose to spend our limited resource of mental energy matters.  She then takes us through chapter by chapter into habits that will help us to get off the overthinking train and make those decisions.  Each chapter ends with "next steps", questions or short exercises to help you to determine where you are at in that step and how to get to that place of being free from overthinking.

I, at first, had a hard time focusing to get into the book so when I saw it offered as an audiobook I went that direction.  I enjoyed listening to it, the narrator was easy to listen to.  There are many takeaways and nuggets but I will at some point reread the physical copy as doing those "Next Steps" portions at the end of each chapter was difficult unless I was sitting with pen and paper (which I wasn't because I listen to audiobooks in the car while driving) and all the helps and nuggets beg for a good underlining pen to remember them all.   That being said there was also a lot of overthinking stories and some of them were unrelatable but if the reader could remember to take the principle and not the example then that helped.  One of the biggest takeaways for me was when the author talked about determining what is of value to you in life.  Once this is determined hold the decisions you have to make up to the light of these values that matter the most to you.  Such common sense but such a truth for me to grab ahold of and practice.  Don't Overthink It gives you a framework from which you can come to make decisions you are comfortable with freeing you up focus on other things.  

I rated it an 8/10


Reading Challenge Goals Met:  Read at least 3 non-fictions this year,  Listen to at least 3 audiobooks




3 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

I read this last year and really enjoyed it. One thing that helped was to realize sometimes there is no one best answer. I can waste all kinds of time looking for one, but sometime each choice is going to have pros and cons. Another help was that I don't *have* to seek out every option before making a decision. I'm the type of person who used to look at every Happy Birthday to Husband (or whatever category) card in the store before choosing on instead of getting the first one I like.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I need to see if I can get hold of this book, because I seem to be the queen of overthinking and analyzing things. Thanks for the review!

Billie Jo said...

This looks right up my alley! I am also a chronic overthinker. A worrier who thinks I can rationally figure everything out, if only I think long enough! Thank you for the suggestion!