Sunday, August 28, 2022

The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren ~ Book Review

Olive's twin sister Ami has planned her fancy wedding down to the last detail winning almost everything towards it. When everyone who was at the wedding comes down with food poisoning from the seafood buffet except for Olive and her new brother-in-law, Ethan, Ami insists that her look alike twin sister takes the honeymoon trip to Maui she won in a contest so it doesn't go to waste as it must be forfeited if they don't go. Unbeknownst to Olive, Ami's brand new husband has offered the trip to his brother. There is only one problem, Olive and Ethan can't stand each other. But Ami insists Olive go, so the big hoax to fool the hotel starts. But can these two pull off looking like they are madly in love just so they can have a free vacation? 

Unpopular opinion coming.  I DNF'd (did not finish) this one.

 Concept seemed fun for a summer read but it ended up playing out in ways that are not my cup of tea in reading material. I pushed it to page 198 hoping it got better but it didn't. Constant s*xual tension and private thoughts about the other character got old as did the trope of wrong assumptions and preconceived ideas about motives. The final straw was the language. Basically no story except the hate to love amidst all the s*xual angst. Granted some funny moments and humorous situations but the constant snarking at each other back and forth got old too. When I found myself thinking I had better pick it up just to get done so I could count it towards my total books read this year it was a wake up call to set it aside. I wasn't enjoying the read. Unfortunate because I was really looking forward this one from all the rave reviews.

Rating:  4/10

I'm still counting it towards my reading goals because of the time spent getting halfway through it

Reading Challenge Goals Met:  (which I modified because I didn't have books to fit the original prompt): Read a Book with a Summer Vibe






2 comments:

Faith said...

I"ve never heard of this one!! I won't be looking for it!! I'm reading a really good beach read right now.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I will avoid this one. Thanks for your honest review. I don't blame you at all for putting it aside. I would have done the same.