Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Christmas Train by David Baldacci ~ Book Review

Tom Langdon is  a hardened & disillusioned journalist.  Once at the top of his game as a war reporter travelling all over the world into the most dangerous of places he now writes "fluff" pieces for a magazine after deciding he needed a break.  Wanting to get home to girlfriend, Leila for the holidays, Tom is forced to take a train instead of flying because of a slight altercation at an airport that has him banned from flying for the time being.  Finding the train the option he must choose he decides to take the route that Mark Twain did in 1872 and record his journey.  But once the journey begins there are distractions galore especially when he runs into his past love.  Embittered by their parting of ways, Tom must now navigate being thrust into a working relationship with Eleanor after all these years causing this train journey to also be a journey into his own heart.  Just when he and Eleanor find their footing and are able to talk about what really happened, a surprise passenger boarding the train at one of the stops along the way throws everything into chaos.

I've had this book on my radar for quite awhile and finally was able to get to it this Christmas. For some reason I had it very built up in my head.  At first it was a bit hard to get into for me but eventually the host of characters started click and it got interesting.  There are lots of characters and each seems to have an air of mystery surrounding them so it made it hard at first to connect to them but as the author built some of their characters and back stories I finally was pulled into the story.  Tom is a bit of an unlikeable character at first and there is questions regarding  his relationship with Eleanor.   As the train journeys along their story unfolds.  Along the way Tom finds he's forced to look into his own heart to see his part in their breakup.  It's a feel good story that has atmosphere, mystery, quirky characters, laugh out loud moments, a touch of romance and a twist at the end.  Though it didn't quite measure up to what I had expected it turned out to be an enjoyable, light read for Christmas.   There is a tv movie adaptation that I would like to now see.

I rated it a 7.5/10







2 comments:

Wendy said...

That all sounds very different from the Baldacci novels I've read so far so I'm intrigued. Thanks for the review Susanne. I hope you had a good christmas.

nikkipolani said...

This was my introduction to Baldacci (I know, it's nothing like his other series) and agree with you -- it was just okay. Enjoyable but not re-readable.