Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Liturgy of the Ordinary by Tish Harrison Warren ~ audiobook Review


Note:  I am very behind on my book reviews and finished this a few months back, so it is in that perspective that I wrote my thoughts.  I had recorded what rating I would give it at the time of finishing it, but the review is what I could remember of it.

Publisher's Description:
"Many of us go through the day feeling like we don't have time for God. But God can become present to us in surprising ways through our everyday routines. Framed around one ordinary day, this book explores daily life through the lens of liturgy, small practices and habits that form us. Each chapter looks at something making the bed, brushing her teeth, losing her keys that the author does in the day. Drawing from the diversity of her life as a campus minister, Anglican priest, friend, wife, and mother, Tish Harrison Warren opens up a practical theology of the everyday. Each activity is related to a spiritual practice as well as an aspect of our Sunday worship. Come and discover the holiness of your every day."

My Thoughts:
 I listened to this as an audiobook while I was cleaning and disinfecting at the end of the work day. It seemed quite appropriate as I was not happy with this added extra work at the end of  every long work day. This book really opened up something I already knew in my head but that sunk it a bit more into my heart and that is how to take our everyday chores and seemingly mundane acts of ordinary days and turn them into a different mindset and habits of worship. The author's calming voice and everyday examples got me through those first days of developing this new habit in my workday  and I really enjoyed this book. I will probably at some point listen to it again.

I rated it a 9/10
 










2 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

I’ve heard good things about this but haven’t checked it out yet.

Deb J. in Utah said...

That does sound really good, Susanne. The mundane daily things we do, like cleaning up and fixing dinner, are all acts of service, through which we can glorify God and show love for others. You and your family have a very Merry Christmas!