Friday, May 22, 2020

Friday's Fave Five #585




Hi everyone.  Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  I will be a touch late getting my post up today but please don't let that stop you.  Mr. Linky is ready to go.  I'll get the post up as soon as I can!

~AND HERE WE ARE~
Good morning!  Welcome to Friday Fave Five.  Thanks so much for being patient with me.  There were things going on last night where I was not able to do up my post but I'm raring to go now.  Thanks for joining in on looking for blessings and being grateful for them especially during these times.  I always like to think that during the good times it's like we are in training to look for blessings and we are building those muscles of gratitude and thankfulness.  Then when the race is really on, when those not so good times hit or those truly awful times when we can hardly hold our head above water come, well that is when all that training comes into play.  We've developed a "muscle memory", if you will, to search out blessings and our trained heart is grateful and thankful not necessarily for whatever is hard, but in that hard time.  We become like the athlete who body just knows exactly what to do because it has had so much practice and she can be laser focused no matter what is swirling around her.  So let's get to building those thankful muscles and find the blessings from the last week.

~ delayed Mother's day gift ~ I had a sweet little surprise come in mail when a Mother's Day gift that my youngest had ordered me came late.  It was this lovely little music box that plays a song I used to sing to the kids all the time when they were really little.  She knew that I liked music boxes and that she found one with that particular song was really touching.  She also sent me a random touching text the other day.  She really filled up my Mom love language cup this week.



~flower garden in~ It was a long weekend here last weekend and I took the opportunity to get my flower garden in and my flower pots planted.  Dave had bought me those gorgeous Sweetheart Rose Geraniums and then gave me the "Canadian Tire money" to go get other flowers. He also bought me a gorgeous perennial for the front that I can hardly wait to see grow.  I've never seen it before so I hope I don't kill off the poor thing.  Ha.   I'm not a good gardener by any means but I do like to put my flowers into the pots and get the bed by the front of the house done and enjoy their beauty all summer.


(This is the perennial Rodgersia.  The little tag on it said "spectacular specimen".  That little stem in the first picture is supposed to produce clumps of white flowers that stand up a good ways from from the leaves.  And you can see from my kitty hiding in the picture and by my hand how huge the leaves are.  If the size of the leaves are anything to go by it truly will be spectacular!  I'm so excited to see this grow.  I'm praying it does well for me and I can keep it alive.)



(Here a better picture of the Sweetheart Rose geranium than I had last week.  I put them into a pretty threesome for the front doorway.  The big pot also has flowers that will hang down and some light airy white ones that will fill in.  Can't wait for it to start growing and show what it looks like then.  The little bush on the right is one of my favorite perennials called Jack Frost)

~ funny signage ~ we've had some wonderful times during this quarantine to get outside and go for great walks and bike rides.  One of our favorites is on some trails behind the college.  This year we found a new sign that made us laugh.  I guess they are covering all their bases that if you don't understand English your dog can translate it for you.  Haha.



~ coffee and some great reading ~ There has been some great reading time this last week.  I always love when I find an unexpected great book that just grabs me right from the beginning and surprises me throughout, and yes, even leaves me with a few tears at the end.  I had one of those this week and I loved every minute I could pick it up. 



~ ugly filing cabinet gone ~ In our smaller spare bedroom which is also our office stood a huge ugly black filing cabinet that we've kinda hated from the moment we got it.  It stuck out way too far because it was so deep but it served it's purpose.  After looking for at least a year, we finally found a file cabinet this week that is more like a piece of furniture so it blends in better and is not so deep so it's not sticking out.  And it was in our price range so we are very happy to see the big black eyesore gone.

What were your favorite blessings from last week?  If you share 5 of them in a post please feel free to link on!





10 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

We live in a tiny apartment with no room for file cabinets. Luckily we don’t have all that much to file. I am in the midst of reading a great book called Wilding by Isabella Tree. It’s a bit slow in some parts as it’s non-fiction but it’s very interesting.

Barbara Harper said...

That music box is so sweet and touching! I love the Sweetheart Rose geraniums--so pretty. I love that the sign has its message in dog language where they can see it. :-) I'm not familiar with that author, but I love books like that. I'm listening to an audiobook now that I wish I could just snuggle up with and listen all the way to the end. It's neat that you could exchange filing cabinets for one that better suits your space.

Karen said...

I love the idea of building muscle memory for blessings. Great way to explain the beauty of FFF.

Such a sweet, sweet gift from your daughter!

I'm sending good vibes to your new plant:) And, have I noticed before that we have almost identical front doors? The oval glass and side windows to match. (And a half circle doormat! Why am I not surprised;) Mine is painted a turquoise (that I've learned to love -- a bit shocking at first).

I've not read books by DC, but I was looking at one on kindle the other day. Thanks for sharing the recommendation.

Have a super weekend.

Faith said...

What a wonderful gift your girl got you!! When i was in high school and college i collected grand piano music boxes.

I love all of your flowers. This is our 3 day memorial weekend where we honor the fallen soldiers, etc. And when i tend to go out to the local flower nursery and get some flowers to put in my deck pots. I have many perennials in the front flower garden but my deck seems some color.

I haven't read a diane chamberlain in a long time. Last time i did i was so turned off by her language and s&x scenes.
Is this one a good one?? I'm reading more this week and it makes me happy.

Enjoy the weekend!!

Susanne said...

Faith: I have read one other Diane Chamberlain book and didn't care for it so much so have been hesitant to pick up any more of hers, but this one was good. I don't remember any sex scenes and I think it had 1 swear in the whole book.

ellen b. said...

What a sweet and considerate Mother's Day gift. Love that. Things are looking nice on your front porch!Those oversized filing cabinets are an eyesore for sure. Glad you found an eye pleasing one! Happy weekend to you!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, Susanne. I just love all of these things your wrote about. That music box is so wonderful and touching. You daughter really did her job well on that gift! I love your plants too. I am a flower person and love to fill my yard with them. The book sounds really good and I am going to look for it. Maybe I can get it from the library now that those are opening back up on a limited basis. Maybe you will be doing a review of that book. I will watch for it! Thanks for sharing your favorites and have a wonderful weekend.

Wendy said...

your flowers are looking lovely and will be interested to see how the new one turns out. What a thoughtful gift from your daughter - one to treasure. Funny sign! I've read a few DC books and enjoyed them all but that's a new one to me. I'll have to look out for it. Have a good weekend!

Gattina said...

This year I don't do anything in the garden because we move ! We still mow the lawn but that's it. What a wonderful motherday giftyou got ! I just goot a phone call!Boys are less attentive then girls !

Willow said...

Our file cabinet is 'utilitarian' but it still works. Once we move, hopefully we'll be as lucky as you and find a good cabinet.
Ha! Loved that sign!
Your garden plants are lovely!
Have a safe and happy weekend.