Friday, May 29, 2020

Fridays Fave Five #586





Welcome to Friday's Fave Five!  As we move forward with whatever phase of reopening or relaunching that your area is in and all the stresses that that brings, it is a good thing to pause and take a breath and just remember the blessings in our lives.  Please join us as we share five of our favorites from the past week.  And then let us be grateful and thankful for them.


~ a couple of gorgeous coulee hikes~ this week we took a couple of longer hikes in the coulees.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous, sunny and warm.  The skies blue.  One day was a bit breezy but the other day was perfect.  It allowed us to hear all the crickets, birds singing and the brook in the bottom of the valley.  We paused at the top and took in the gorgeous views.  Being out in God's creation just melts the stress away and clears the mind and reminds us that God is right here with us!








~ wild asparagus picking ~ back in the pioneer days of our city people used to live in the river bottom valley and planted asparagus.  Now if you know where to look, one can find stalks of wild asparagus growing.  Hubby is the master of this and has an eagle eye for it and can spot them when no one else can.  He used to do a lot of it when he was a kid but for Tamara and I it was our first time.  Once we got the hang of what to look for it was actually a lot of fun.


Using eagle eyes to hunt for those stalks




~ beautiful wild flowers ~ one of my favorite parts of coulee hikes are the wildflowers everywhere.  Right now the spring ones are out.  These are two of my favorites.  One is so colorful and has about 3 or 4 colors in it and the other is so dainty and one of my favorite colors.



~ supportive friends ~  even though we have not been able to meet for months I am so thankful for a group of supportive friends who are there with listening ears when I need to talk something through.  And I appreciate their words of encouragement and prayers when I'm struggling with decisions.  I tend to be an over thinker so it's so nice to have a group of ladies to bounce things off of and know they will support me.  So thankful for them.

~ online learning and support ~ while staying and home and not working I was able to find a facebook group for in home child care providers that offers support and weekly training sessions for free.  Even though they are based in the States so some things don't apply to me, it is still wonderful to learn and be built up for when I do open.  And through this group I found a day home providers support group which has been invaluable so far in getting ideas for our new "normal" in the world of providing child care.

Well it's been a bit of a different week.  I've had a hard time realizing exactly what day we are on and what the date is.  Very strange.  It's been very disconcerting and I actually missed a doctor appointment with a new doctor yesterday because I was thinking I was on a different day.  It has been good to pause and reflect on the good things from the week rather than the frustrations.  Thanks for joining in with me.

What have been your favorite blessings from the last week?






10 comments:

Gattina said...

Very beautiful landscape and how interesting that you still can find asparagus ! I love eating them. Me too I have to check which day we have every ay is the same !!

Schotzy said...

Good morning and thanks for sharing your blessings. How wonderful to have such beautiful places near home to hike! Our hiking areas are a bit too rugged for my joints! . I am more inclined to walk a track, but that is so less adventurous! I have a hard time keeping track of time as well. I used to lean on my pocket calendar for weekly events, it is essentially empty these days except for those pre arranged dr appts. Have a great weekend.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I’ve never heard of wild asparagus. Here in New England we don’t have all that much open space where they could grow. That sounds fun and if there was a stream nearby you might be able to fish for trout and have yourself a delicious little meal

Faith said...

Well you had Dave and I stumped this morning at breakfast. The only definition for Coolie was the one associated with this spelling. I had to look it up onone to see what you were talking about!! A deep ravine!! ( when hiking books i have talk of deep ravines in the ADK mountains, it is usually known as just ravines or gorges) somthanks for teaching us a new word!! The hiking photos are so pretty and i love the wildflowers!!
How fun to find wild asparagus.....do you eat it?

There nothing like a good group of friends to do life with.....I'm thankful for my in person friends and my online friends...like you!!

That's great that you have a daycare home providers group to be a part of. When do you think yours will open up again?

I hope you have a wonderfully relaxing weekend.

Barbara Harper said...

What a lovely hike! My husband would love the wild asparagus. I'm glad you were able to converse with supportive friends and find the child care groups. Child care will probably be one of the hardest things to adapt to with the pandemic, since children are so tactile and it's not possible to keep them six feet apart. I pray for wisdom for you in how to proceed.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love that hike you went on. Finding wild asparagus is added bonus. So glad you have supportive friends and a good FB group that is giving you good ideas. Have a great weekend!

ellen b. said...

Looks like a great place to hike and to see great sights. I wouldn't know how to recognize wild asparagus growing. Prayer warriors are such a blessing to have in our lives. Hope your last weekend in May is a good one!

Wendy said...

Well I'm glad Faith explained what a coolie is otherwise I would have been asking/looking it up. Looks like you found a lovely place to hike though and those flowers are pretty. Yes finding support during these difficult times is important and I'm glad you've done that. Opening up again is going to be tricky and needs to be done slowly in my opinion. And yes keeping track of the days is hard - hubby was up early today and showered and dressed. When I asked what prompted this he said I've got my 9.30 call with the team. He hadn't remembered it was the weekend! Enjoy the rest of your weekend Susanne.

Karen said...

I am forever losing track of the days. Yesterday, I was convinced it was Saturday and had to rearrange some plans because of it. I enjoyed going along on the hike with you:) How fun it would be to look for wild asparagus, one of my favorite veggies. Online group can be so supportive. It's nice to find that in the comfort of your own home.

Willow said...

I'm sure you're not the only person to miss an appointment. I wonder how many doctors have missed theirs because of the confusion.
Your walks in the coulees are amazing! What beautiful flowers and views!
And even asparagus!
Have a good weekend!