Friday, May 15, 2020

Friday's Fave Five #584


UPDATED with a pic of the rose geranium!

Hi again everyone.  How was your week?  Here at Friday's Fave Five we pause, look for and share 5 of our blessings from the last week.  No matter what kind of week we had.  Whether is was great, mediocre, quiet or crazy or just plain difficult.  We are working at developing the practice of intentionally looking at the blessings that God places into our lives.  Not all will be big and huge, some will be whisper quiet and some we will have to search for a little harder.  But the point is to train our selves to 1) Look for those blessings and 2) to be thankful for them big and small.  Please join us.  If you do a FFF post please feel free to link up.


~ Mother's Day ~  wow, this Mother's day was different from any other.  Not only with all the distancing making it difficult, but here it was also very chilly so we couldn't even really go sit outside with my Mom.  But there were still blessings to the day.  A nice telephone chat with my mom started the day.  Then the rest was totally relaxed.  PJ's, coffee, a nice long bath with a book to read was a treat as I rarely get to do that.  Online church, a phone call from my daughter and son in law in Saskatchewan, a live fb video call from my son who was just starting his shift at work.  Something that really blessed me was he took me on a video tour of his ambulance.  It was so interesting and I got to see "where" he works and how he does his job and some of the cool things that ambulances are fitted with.  Very fun for me.  My youngest came over and I threw a frozen lasagna in the oven.  It turned out to be a lovely day in spite of being very different from what I'm used to.


~ Dirty Chai Tea Latte ~ My new favorite discovery at the coffee shop.  I haven't been to St*rbucks since the whole isolating thing and when hubby asked if I wanted to get something in the drive thru I gave it a try.  And I'm hooked.

~Vanilla slice~ We took a little drive to the neighboring town to pick up and order of bread and I decided I'd treat myself to a vanilla slice.  I don't eat much dessert type stuff anymore but I really craved a slice of one of my favorites.  It was good to the last bite.  Wished I would have taken a picture for ya.  There are different versions but around here it's basically a layer of vanilla custard topped with a thick layer of whipped cream sandwiched between two layers of puff pastry topped with a pink icing drizzled with chocolate.  When I was a kid there also used to be a strip of raspberry jam in there but you can't find that around here anymore.

~ Rose Geranium ~ About 20 or more years ago I came across a pretty little geranium type called a rose geranium.  I have been looking for them since and have never been able to find them.  The other day hubby took me to a lovely garden nursery a little bit out of town and lo and behold they had them.  Hubby blessed me with four of them for my garden for Mother's Day.  I am so excited.  I just love the look of a whole bunch of tiny little rosebuds that makes up it's flower.  I can hardly wait to get them planted.


Not fully developed and bloomed out but here is a pic of  one of the flower heads of the rose geranium.  It will give you an idea of each individual little "flower" that makes up the head.

~ Dad's birthday ~ Yesterday was my Dad's 89th birthday.  Yesterday was also the day they started to allow minimal visiting at some senior residences in Alberta.  His was one of them.  So we jumped through all the hoops and got a 15 minute visit.  Masks were mandatory.  I was able to cook him one of his favorite dishes and take it to him.  The weather co-operated and we had some lovely sunshine.  And it was nice to at least get to look him in the eyes and wish him a happy birthday rather than just wave up to his 2nd story room while we stood outside!  It's the first time I got to see my Dad since the middle of March.



Bonus blessing:  The new release from my favorite author arrived in the mail and I can't wait to get to The Water Keeper by Charles Martin.

What were your favorite blessings from the last week?  Is your area opening up from isolation or lockdown yet?






10 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

Sounds like a nice Mother's Day, even though different. The vanilla slice sounds good! I had to look up rose geraniums--very pretty! I'm so glad you got to see your dad on his birthday. I've felt so bad for people in assisted living or nursing homes without visitors all this time. My sister's friend has shown Facebook videos of trying to talk to her dad through the glass doors. At first he didn't understand, and he just waved and walked away. :( I think in later visits he talked a little more. I got a new release this week from Katherine Reay! Happy reading!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I love rose geraniums. I love scented geraniums also and they are hard to find.

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you got to see your dad on his birthday. This is such a hard time for older people. Also glad you had a nice Mother's Day. This pandemic is making most of us appreciate the little things more than ever. Have a good weekend.

Karen said...

I teared up reading about your visit with your dad. My dad is 88 and I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to wait so long to be with yours. The geraniums sound really pretty, I don't think I've ever seen any around here. So nice to get to connect with all the kids on Mother's Day. Celebrations are sure different these days. We're all challenged to be more creative. Our state restrictions have eased up a bit, but our county along with a few others, are still keeping the old rules in place, which means more businesses will stay closed. It's a tough decision, but I can't help but feel we're not out of the woods yet.

Wendy said...

Your Mother's Day sounded lovely and how great to be able to get to see your Dad. Enjoy your weekend.

ellen b. said...

How nice that some restrictions were lifted just before your dear dad's birthday. Your Mother's Day sounded good despite COVID. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Faith said...

Well because I live in Albany County of the capital region in NY we are still in lockdown but other regiinsmof NY like central and southern and the mountains are slowly opening up as of tomorrow. It's gonna be a bit for us unless a miracle,happens. Don't even get me started. Most of this is ridiculous.

Yay for you spending time with your dad and having a nice Mother's Day!

I need to try that latte!! Claire went back to work with her barista job at our Starbucks in the grocery store becuase her finals are done now.

I hope you have a relaxing weekend,

Willow said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! That's a very nice present to get--rose geraniums.
I'm glad you were able to be with your dad for his birthday.
So thankful for the loosening of social distance rules now. We've even had a couple of groups come to view our home to maybe buy it!
Enjoy that sunny weather!

Susanne said...

Barbara: I didn't see until this Saturday morning that I forgot to post the pic of the buds of the rose geranium so I have updated the posted with it. Sheesh. I'll chalk it up to quarantine brain.

Barbara Harper said...

Very pretty!