Saturday, March 21, 2020

The Victory Club by Robin Lee Hatcher ~ Book Review


As WWII takes the men away to fight the battle overseas, this is the story of 4 women fighting the battle on the homefront.   Dottie, Margo, Lucy and Penelope all work at the same factory at Gowen Field in Boise, Idaho.  Their interactions at lunch has inspired one of them to start a "Victory Club" to pray and encourage each other and to help people out during these trying times.  It was Lucy's idea and she wants a relevant way to put into practice her Christian faith.  But as the war continues and each woman tries to cope with what they have been handed in life, trials and the choices they make will threaten to derail their faith.

This is very definitely under the category of Christian fiction.  I really liked it.  This is one of my favorite Christian authors because she really has the ability to present the Christian faith walked out in the trials and testings of everyday life.  Robin Lee Hatcher was able to have insight into the very real situations, temptations and feelings that might have presented themselves to women of that era that were left to hold down the fort at home while the men were fighting in WWII.  I liked how she didn't sugar coat trials but made them very relatable.  This book was an example of why I love solid well written Christian fiction that shows our faith being walked out in everyday situations and circumstances.  Just like real life doesn't always have the perfect ending,  not every situation in the story was wrapped up with a pretty bow and I appreciated that in this story as it left me to think out what I might have done and how I would have reacted.    This was a great read to remind us that the Christian faith is walked out one step at a time with the choices that we make when faced with the circumstances life brings us.

I gave it a 9/10





2 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

I read this a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Faith said...

When our town library opens up again I'm going to see if they have this! this one sounds good. I think I've read at least one other of hers but can't remember the title. My mom used to like her books.