Friday, October 18, 2019

Friday's Fave Five #555



Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  Our time to pause the busy week and take note of the blessings in our lives from the last weeks.  Please join us in our quest to lead grateful lives.

1.  Thanksgiving  Last weekend was Canadian Thanksgiving.  The actual holiday is the Monday but we usually have it on Sunday so that I have a day to clean and tidy and rest.  Sunday was full on cooking day for me as I made dinner for a bit of a smaller crowd this year, 8 in all.  My daughter and son in law and my son and his girlfriend both could not make it this year.  It definitely was a tad bit quieter without them down but it was still a lovely day celebrated with family.  We had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted brussel sprouts, carrot/parsnip mix, ranch mushrooms, broiled yellow tomatoes and for dessert, pumpkin pie, fresh fruit tray and pear crisp.  I made everything except the pie and the fruit tray because my sis fractured her foot and couldn't help.  It was a lot of work but I love to cook.  It was enjoyed by all and we played a bit of a dance game on the wii after to work off some of the calories.  It was a wonderful time to be thankful for loved ones, good food and the blessings in our lives.  And I can't believe that I didn't get one picture of the day.

2.  Simple meal  After all the rich food on Sunday with leftovers on Monday we were ready for a simple meal.  So Tuesday I went with a vegetarian favorite:  Indian Spiced Red Lentils.  Paired with some of the leftover veggies from thanksgiving it was a nice change from all the heavier eating of the holiday.





3.  Incredible sunset  Tuesday on my way to small group, I just had to pull over and take a picture of some pretty incredible skies as the sun was setting.  If this doesn't say God is an incredible artist I don't know what does.  It was like a small gift package handed right to me from Him.  So beautiful!




4.  Mini Reunion  I had the great pleasure of having a little mini reunion with a couple of the ladies from our Operation Christmas Child Costa Rica trip.  My friend and I (who came with me on the trip) drove and met up with a couple of the Calgary ladies for lunch at a little town about halfway between our cities.  It was great fun seeing them again and so wonderful catching up with them.  We ate a little diner, Roy's Place,  whose owner has been on the Canadian version of "Chopped" (came in second) and also on "You Gotta Eat Here" (Canadian version of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives type of show).  Of course we couldn't leave without taking home  what they are most famous for and that is a cinnamon bun about as big as my head.  I'm not even exaggerating.  People take an afternoon drive just to go and get these cinnamon buns.  A little retail therapy thrown in made for a perfect outing with the girls.  We're hoping to do it again in the spring.

Here's a pic from the show You Gotta Eat Here with the Cinnamon bun.





5.  Fun Fall Nails.  My esthetician daughter gave me gave me a lovely manicure last night.  It was a relaxing "spa" time for me and it's time to spend together as she is now living on her own.  She's pretty awesome at nail art and I'm a proud mom showing off her talents.  She really likes her job and it shows.  She free-hand paints, no stencils.  Love it.



What were your favorite 5  blessings for the last week?




11 comments:

Gattina said...

Besides the cooking, it seems that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving,I say besides because now I hate cooking but years ago it was my Hobby !
The nails with the little designs look great ! Practical to have such a daughter ! I also love red lentils and also the other once. They not only taste good but are also good for the health.

Barbara H. said...

Belated happy Thanksgiving! That's a good idea to cook and celebrate on Sunday and have Monday a lower-key day.

Beautiful sunset! How fun to meet up with some of your OCC friends! Wow, that cinnamon bun would last for days.

Faith said...

Those nails!!! Love the colors!

Happy belated Thanksgivibg! It's hard to snap pics when you're the hostess and cook!! Yummy.....pear crisp!!

The lentil dish looks good but no one likes lentils here.....wonder if i could use cannellini beans instead??

How fun to have a lunch and shopping day with your friends from OCC. it's almost time to fill more boxes!! I love it!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Susanne said...

Barbara: Yes, that cinnamon bun literally did last for days. It is HUGE! And yummy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful nails!!
Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner also. --Ann

Patti said...

Hi Susanne, it's so nice to be part of the blogging world again and to read your thankful Friday posts. I hope to join in this week!

Indeed, yes, God is an artist, and the skies always show his artistry so magnificently. I love sunsets and sunrises. (Of course, I don't see too many sunrises, due to being a sleepyhead in the morning.)

Your nails are gorgeous! I get pedicures quite often, but I have only had someone do my fingernails one time.

Your Thanksgiving feast sounds yummy. I will be having most of those same foods at my house in a little more than a month.

Blessings,
Patti

Wendy said...

Belated Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like you had fun. Lovely nails and that cake? Well it's definitely huge! lol. Have a good weekend.

Willow said...

Happy Thanksgiving last week! Even small gatherings can be wonderful. I'm glad you had a good time.
That cinnamon bun! Wow! and yummy too!
Aren't sunset photos just the best display of God's handiwork?

Karen said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Still lobbying for the US to get on your holiday schedule:)

I love, LOVE your nails! Your daughter is so talented.

Your outing sounds so nice. How fun for you to see your friends again and to spend some time shopping.

Hope you are enjoying your weekend, Susanne.

ellen b. said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving. I think I'd go for a Sunday meal instead of Monday, too. Beautiful sky and fun nails!

Snowbird said...

You cooked for a small crew of eight??? Struth! That would kill me! I'm laughing at you forgetting to take pictures, I do that on a regular basis! Oh...yes, I agree re that sky. Loving your nails, tipping my hat to your talented daughter.xxx