Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall Into Reading Challenge 2010




It's fall. That means it's time for Katrina's Fall Into Reading Challenge. I love these reading challenges Katrina holds twice a year. I think it's fun to look through my Want to Read lists, go through my basket of books and check out the library for what I want to make my goal to read in the next few months. I can hardly wait to read through other's lists because invariably I always find titles I want to add to my Want to Read lists. As usual though, my list is subject to change as I get review offers.. I just can't resisit new titles for free. :vP But one of my main goals this challenge was to get at least a couple of my books read that have been sitting in my ever expanding book basket. To join in yourself, see Callapider Days for more info.


Intervention by Terri Blackstock " Barbara Convington has one more chance to save her daughter from a devastating addiction, by staging an intervention. But when the 18 yr. old
disappears on the way to drug treatment and her interventionist is found deat Barbara enterss her darkest nightmare of all." -Just finishing this one up from my summer reading

God Knows My Name by Beth Redman " Drawing on Scripture and her own experience, Redman invites us to explore the revolutionary implications of being loved by a God who knows our name. And she invites us to call on His name as well-to respond to His heart and love Him as He has loved us from the beginning." -Received this for review over the summer but only had time to do a quick scan through it. Definitely want to slow down as I go through it.

the Moment Between by Nicole Baart "A breathtaking story about the emotional risks of relationships, The Moment Between explores the cost of regret, the desire for revenge and the redemptive power of forgivenss." -Found this book when I went to get "After the leaves fall". Could not pass it up!

After the Leaves Fall by Nicole Baart " Her childhood marked by rejection and loss, Julia Bakker longs for life to finally begin. Determined to escape her conservative Christian hometown, she chooses college for a radical reinvention. But following a momentous mistake, the self-defeated Julia returns to her loving grandmother's farm. Will she learn to hope in a God who makes all things new?" -This is going to be a quick reread, more like a scan, for me as the next in the series is on my list. I read it a few years ago, so I want to remind myself what happened.

Summer Snow by Nicole Baart " Julia DeSmit is finally learning to accept her new life. Optimistic and anxious to begin again after dropping out of college, she is taking fumbling steps down a challenging yet hope-filled road. But the careful existence Julia has begun to build falls hopelessly to pieces when her estranged mother, Janice, appears on the front porch one icy March night. Julia is convinced that which is broken cannot be mended. Yet when she faces the very decision her mother did years before, she begins to realize what it means to truly accept grace. Will it be her undoing or the impetus for a change she'd never dared hope for?" -Second in the Threads of Change series.

A Time to Surrender by Sally John & Gary Smalley " Claire and Max Beaumont nearly lost it all, but their marriage and their homestead have now been restored. As they grow in love, they watch as their children feel the effects of their reconciliation: Their son Danny falls in love and lets go of his pride. Daughter Jenna lets go of preconceived notions about marriage when her husband, Kevin the marine, is injured in Iraq. All the Beaumonts ultimately learn that letting go is the best way to receive back healed relationships." -Book 3 in the Safe harbor Series

Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner "While Jane Lindsay waits for her husband to decide if they'll stay married, she finds a 16th-century betrothal ring. Certain that it belonged to Lady Jane Grey, she's drawn to the parallels in their lives. Was Tudor England's 9-day queen another victim of other people's choices? Will Manhattan's Jane realize she's responsible for her own happiness?" -Love Susan Meissner. Can hardly wait to start this one.

Secrets by Robin Jones Gunn "Jessica wants desperately to forget the past and begin a new life. She chooses a small, peaceful town tucked away in Oregon and conceals her identity. But will her deciet ruin all hope for the future?" -This has been tucked away in my book basket for awhile.

The Help by Kathrn Stockett "Three ordinary women are about to take one extraordinary step. Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed." -Been wanting to read this for about a year now and when I saw the hardcover version in perfect condition for $2 at the library sale that sealed the deal. Pulling it out of the book basket.

Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg "A story of a small town in the midst of the mostly joyous transition from war to peach, aiming toward a bright future. " -I've never read a Fannie Flagg book but have heard they are wonderful, so again the library sale supplied me with one. Nabbed it out of by book basket.

12 comments:

Faith said...

looks like a great list! I am just about half way through The Help. I started it on Monday....it is EXCELLENT....i highly recommend it...enjoy!

Lisa notes... said...

God Knows My Name – would love to read that one especially. We’ll have to compare notes on “The Help” since we’ll both be reading this one (along with thousands of other people! Ha). Great list.

Danielle Leigh said...

Totally on board for what you'd like to do tomorrow Susanne! Your reading list looks good!

Jimi said...

I think The Help is one of the best books I've read in the last few years. Hope you love it too!

Jennifer said...

Lady in Waiting sounds good. I've never read anything my her before.

Barbara H. said...

I've read many of Terri Blackstock's books, but nothing since the series about all the power going out. I need to check into Intervention. I've seen Lady In Waiting mentioned on several blogs -- sounds good! I have heard great things about Fannie Flagg, too, but haven't read anything by her yet. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you think about some of these!

Brittanie said...

I think all of Nicole Baart's books are good. I have been wanting to read The Help but have not had time and my Mom still has it. :)

Nise' said...

Enjoy your Fall reading selections. I just brought home Lady in Waiting.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Great list. I have a couple of those too. Enjoy!!

dianne said...

I loved The Help! Couldn't put it down. The Beth Redman book looks interesting.

Ronnica said...

I'm so glad to see The Help on so many lists! I read Secrets this spring, all in one day. Good reads!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

You got The Help for $2?? That's awesome! I recently listened to the audiobook version and absolutely loved it! The Beth Redman book looks really good too...might have to check that one out.

Thanks for being such a faithful reading challenge participant! I always love to see what you're reading!