Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Big Debate Rages

This is a picture of my poor, pathetic looking tomato plants.

It is very sad, isn't it? I almost feel like having a moment of silence.

Lots of tomatoes on there. But he sight of their greenness makes me want to cry. Has no told them it's going on the 3rd week of September for heaven's sake? I had such high hopes for juicy tomatoes that turn red on the plant. It obviously is not going to happen this year. These babies have been covered at night for over a week now and they have not had a touch of sunshine or warmth in just as long. I've been tossing around daily whether I should pick the poor things now and be done with it. Am I destined for a whole lot of fried green tomato eating this month? Summer, where have you been this year?

But the red tomato, it calls to me. So I've left them, hoping each day the sun would decide to co-operate. Here we are again today, cloudy with showers. And cold. So I debate again.

Ironically, for the first day and week of fall, what is the forecast? Sunny and warm. What is up with that? So do I pick them? Or can those pathetic, yellow old leaves still have enough oomph in them to deliver some red giving sunshine stuff into the tomato?

These life altering questions are going to be the end of me yet.

6 comments:

nikkipolani said...

Even with the perfect weather (like here in So Cal), I still do quite badly with tomatoes. So I've given up. With stores selling flavorful heirloom tomatoes, that's what I get.

But I do feel sad about your tomatoes, nevertheless :-(

Karyn said...

I've often picked my tomatoes green. You can put them in a newspaper lined cardboard box and cover the box. Give them a few days then start checking daily. They will ripen in the box.

HOWEVER....it is supposed to warm up by the end of the week....maybe

Faith said...

I bought a green one once at a local farm stand and it turned red after I left it alone for a few days on the kitchen counter....yours are nice looking!

Chris said...

The very first thing I said when I saw the photos was "Awwww...." And that before reading a word.

At least you had a good crop while it lasted! :)

Jerralea said...

If it makes you feel any better, at least you got green tomatoes. I grew a beautiful tomato vine this year, but it never had one flower on it. No tomatoes at all ... It was very sad ...

Val said...

Oh I so feel your pain. I have about 50 plants that look just like that! Sad, but ready for the break.