Please join us at Linda's for a Christmasy Random Dozen.
1. Gingerbread: For or against? Discuss. I do enjoy gingerbread. To a point. If it's a cookie, it's got to be chewy, not crispy. But I especially love this gingerbread, as in cake, not cookie, because it is absolutely awesome with that lemon sauce. Gingerbread and lemon. Who knew it would make such an awesome combo.
2. Is it important to you to always stay (live) close to family? Very important. Both Dave's and my family are all in town here. We've never lived apart from immediate family until this last year when my oldest went away to school. Far away. Way to far away in this Mom's opinion. Children leaving an 8 hour car ride away should just be illegal or something.
3. Which holiday pretend character do you wish really existed? I really don't know how to answer this one. Hmmm, what does that say about me?
4. Which holiday movie best represents how you feel about Christmas or life? Oddly enough, I've had a few Christmas with the Krank's moments, although the scene with the mom being caught in a teensy weensy bikini at a tanning salon by her minister is definitely not a scene played out in my life. Thank goodness. I've also had momentary Scrooge moments. LOL. Right now, we're living a White Christmas moment with all the snow. How am I doing for avoiding the question as I don't know how to answer. LOL.
5. Is there a particular Christmas song that you're enjoying now? Any that you're tired of? Ilove most of them. I'm especially enjoying a whole CD of Christmas songs by Southern Alberta church that is quite rocky/jazzy. Angels We Have Heard on High is quite fun with a rock twist to it. I've always loved What Child is This. Never tire of that song. As for getting tired of one I could do without Santa Clause is coming to Town. It seems really overplayed around here.
6. What is your favorite way to remember those less fortunate at Christmastime? We usually give towards a local Street Mission at this time of year and to various food hampers given out at church. But my all time favorite is Operation Christmas Child. Click the button in my side bar if you don't happen to know what they are all about.
7. Does it upset you to see "Xmas" instead of Christmas? How about "Happy Holidays" etc., instead of "Merry Christmas?" Most definitely I personally say Christmas and Merry Christmas!! I calls a spade a spade. Christmas remembers and celebrates the birth of Jesus, plain and simple. When I really hate "Happy Holidays" is when it is forced upon employees to say and they get in trouble if they say Merry Christmas, so that they don't offend anyone. That bothers me.
8. How many Christmas programs are you attending this month? Only one! My daughter's ochestra recital and that was last Saturday. I remember a time when we were running all over the place attending programs and it really made Christmas very hectic.
9. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Any chance of that dream becoming a reality? Most definitely. Brown Christmas' are just not the same for this Canadian gal. Now I'm not talking blizzard, just some nice white snow.
10. Tell me about a Christmas present you received as a child. Pics are always nice. One of my favorite gifts was a hand made rocking cradle my dad had made for us girls. We each got one and our dolls never slept better than when in that cradle. :v) I wish now I would have kept it but they were given away.
11. How many Christmas parties are you attending this month? Not counting the family dinners on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, a big whopping 2. And they are both over and done with.
12. How do you keep yourself centered on the significance of Christmas? Christmas music focusing on the true meaning of Christmas, devotionals that are centered on the Christmas story and by just trying to slow myself down and remind myself throughout the day what it's really all about.