Thursday, March 15, 2007

A New Fave

I have been looking for a Sweet and Sour Ribs recipe that's compareable with my favorite Chinese food restaurant. I've been looking a long time and either couldn't get the taste right or they weren't tender or something would go wrong. So last year I made up my own and with tweaking here and there, I'm announcing the S & S Ribs that made my hubby declare that he now has a new favorite. Shalee and Laura, you will be glad to know that it is no longer Pork and Brussel Sprouts. In fact, he insisted that I post the recipe. So like a good little wifey, here it is. I won't however, put up step by step photos like my friend Barb, 'cause mine would not look near as organized or nice or professional as hers. And besides, I like it when I stretch your imaginations! :v)


Sue's Sweet & Sour Ribs (serves 6 - 8)

-1 1/2 - 2 kgs. (3 - 4 lbs.) sweet & sour cut pork ribs, cut into single bone pieces
-salt, pepper and garlic powder

Sauce (makes enough that you can use it on top of your rice too.)
4 cups brown sugar
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
4 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water

Put ribs into large pot or dutch oven. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Skim the foam off the top, reduce heat and simmer 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

When ribs are just about done simmering, take a small roaster and combine all the sauce ingrediants with a whisk. Heat to just barely a boil. Remove from heat.

Drain ribs and add to roaster and stir until coated in sauce. Bake, covered, at 325 F for 1/2 hour. Sauce will thicken in oven.

Serve with white or stir fry rice and buttered peas.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my, I will definitely be trying this out next time ribs go on sale. They sound finger licking good!

Thanks!
Laura
PS: So happy your family has had enough of the BS!

Susanne said...

Oh Laura: We will never have enough BS! In fact, we'll probably serve it as a side! :vD

Islandsparrow said...

Yum...I am looking forward to giving this recipe a try!

Michelle said...

these sound like they would be such tasty pork ribs! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Yum I like anything sweet and sour

Susie said...

This sounds deeeeeelicious! My hubby and son are completely addicted to pork ribs, and this may impress them to no end. Thanks for sharing!

Shalee said...

Mmmm... I like the sound of this recipe! (And any other recipe that in no way involves brussel sprouts - the bane of the vegetable world. Down with BS! Down with BS!

Barb said...

BS? LOL

Don't you love it when you come up with a recipe that works? And you know, you don't have to be organized to post step by step photos. Just make sure the kitchen's relatively clean. There. I revealed my secret! :-)

Anonymous said...

These were probably the best ribs ive ever tasted... You should be a chef!!!

tweenie