Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mama Bear Steps Back

Oh my young one. Mom is so sorry for your cut from the badminton team. Not being into sports so much as is your big sister, I was quite surprised when you said you wanted to try out. When you made the first round of cuts I was excited for you. I thought maybe this would be a sports thing you would really enjoy doing. Unfortunately there was a round of second cuts. And I know that hurt and I know it especially hurt the way the teacher/coach did it in front on everybody, instead of just posting the team on the glass cases the next morning. Not making the team was a hard pill to swallow but being singled out and told in front of peers was a hard, hard thing for your sensitive heart. The mama bear in me just wanted to phone that coach up and give him a piece of my mind concerning his insensitivity. But alas my little one, I have to let you learn from this.

I have to let you learn that life is not always fair, but your Lord God is always there for you and wants to hear of not only of the fun, good things that happen but also the hard things.

I have to let you learn that people are people and won't always be in tune to your sensitive heart, but God always is.

I have to let you learn that people won't always want to listen, but God always has His arms open wide and wants to hear what's on your heart.

I have to let you learn that maybe there are reasons that some things just don't go your way, but that God wants you to trust Him with the direction of your life.

I have to let you learn to forgive when you've been hurt and not just when you feel like it but right away, because God forgives you.

So even though I want to run in there and "fix" things for you, I have to let you experience this. But, my little one, know that your mom is always here ready to pray with you, dispense a big hug, with plenty of "I love you's" and an occasional cookie or ice cream. So I pray you grow from it, that you run to the Lord with it, that your faith grows from it. Because in life, it is not what team you made, what school you go to, or what job you get, but how close to your Jesus you can get that is the most important thing and determines who you really are.

23 comments:

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Susanne,
You are such a wise mama bear! Yes, we always want to protect them from these types of situations in their life, but that would only set them up for greater hurt later on. The truth is life is not fair. It certainly wasn't fair for Jesus. Such growing times for our children.

Much Ado said...

Susanne this is such a beautiful post, it gave me the goosebumps reading it. Sorry that your little one didn't make the team. But what wonderful lessons you are teaching. Lessons we all need to learn over and over again.

Janis Rodgers said...

What a blessing your daughter and children have in you! It is hard to watch our children hurt, but it is necessary for them to grow into strong women and men of God, isn't it? Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

My baby hasn't experienced these things yet but I know he will too...

Donnetta said...

I so sorry he had to experience this! But, with a "mama bear" like you he will be able to learn lessons that will apply for a lifetime!

What a beautiful post. I believe there are lessons here for all of us... if we just take the time to look close enough.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

So true, so poignant -- and this is one of the hardest things about motherhood.

Linda said...

What wisdom you have Susanne. My heart hurts for your little one. Life just stinks sometimes! These are things that are hard even for us grownups. You are doing a super job.

Shalee said...

You are a really great momma who strives to show God's love and grace everyday... I hope I grow up to be like you who is trying to be like Jesus.

Give the young one a hug from her friends in KS.

Andrea said...

Susanne,
I love this. thank you for sharing it.

Tammy said...

Oh, Susanne...I just wanted to give you and your daughter a big hug as I read this. But you are so wise...I would also be so tempted to try and "fix" things, too. And when something like this comes up in the future, I'm sure I'll remember reading your wisdom here and try to follow this example.
Blessings!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Thank you for this post, I am printing it with your permission.

Barb said...

One of the most difficult parts of being a mom is forcing yourself to not jump in and fix everything. This put a big lump in my throat. I wish that coach hadn't handled it that way. I'm not even her mother and it upset me for her. And for you.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Double and triple Amen. All of these lessons summed up in one: Others will disappoint/hurt you, only God is truly, truly faithful. Just another reason he deserves the title "God."

Anonymous said...

To your son Suzanne
Im sori
God is good You'll always be on His team if you want to be :)
Big Hugs from me too

Bless your mum too she really loves u

Anonymous said...

Aww I totally understand. I would want to protect too but know as you expressed so well here that sometimes they need to learn to deal with life and all the heartache it can bring. Hugs.

Beck said...

Your poor girl is lucky to have such a wise mother. Good work.

Susie said...

You are such a good mama! I love the words you gave for comfort and assurance. I need to copy this and act like it's mine when the need arises. I'm sure you won't mind. Love on that precious child of yours!

Christine said...

What a beautiful sentiment! I hope my children will hear similar things coming from me as they get older and experience life at its most disappointing. Thanks for sharing this part of your life.

Cyndi said...

You are SUCH a good mom. These were such beautiful words. I loved reading this for *me*.

Kate said...

So beautiful - so comforting. It's no wonder I love to read your posts!

Islandsparrow said...

Oh dear...the mama bear in me is growling.

but hopefully I would be wise as you too.

I still remember the sting of being the only one cut from the basketball team in high school. I wish I had a mom like you to share that hurt with. I just stuffed it down and pretended I didn't really care.

And that's probably why it still stings. Praying for your daughter and you.

Shawna said...

Oh, Susanne. What wisdom for your precious young one. It is so hard to see them hurt. You probably handled it more genteely than I would have and that is a good thing. Bless ya'll.

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Love this, Susanne. I think someone would have had to tie me down in that situation. You little one is blessed indeed.