Friday, September 11, 2026

Friday's Fave Five #898



Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  Thanks for joining in with me again to look for the blessings that God brings into our ordinary days, making sure we are grateful for them.  Some days it's easy and other days its harder but one thing I know is that the more we develop hearts of gratitude the more we see things to be grateful for.  I'm grateful to have you join in with me every Friday.

~birthday celebration~ last weekend we celebrated my brother-in-law as he turned 65.  We've known him many a year, since we were all in our 20's.  We gathered over a delicious dinner of Chinese food and ice cream cake to mark his milestone birthday.  Thanful for all the years we've known him.


~play date~ I had a play date with a little friend who used to attend my dayhome.  We built a special relationship and we still get together occasionally.  She's 10 now and I'm thankful she still likes to spend some time with me.  So this long weekend we played a round of black light mini golf and went for ice cream.  It was fun catching up with her and all she is doing.


~new garage doors~  we have lived in our house for 33 years and we've been toying with the idea of new garage doors for years.  They'd become very noisy, in bitter cold they would stick and I'd have to get out of the car and strong arm the door up, after every winter paint would peel off in chunks and one year one of the springs broke.  But you know how life is, other things just always seemed to come along that took priority.  But this summer when the lining and insulation broke away from the door and fell on top of the car as we were backing out, scaring the living daylights out of us, we said enough was enough, it was time.  This week was installation and now we have nice, quiet, safe doors that don't require painting every year.


~the smell after a rainstorm~  it was rainy here during the week end and I made sure to open windows at some points just to let in that wonderful, fresh smell.  


~fall routines~ while I love the easy going days of summer, I do love getting back to fall routines.  The dayhome kids seem to do better with routines and I love the rhythm it brings to the days and evenings.  


What were you grateful to God for this week?













9 comments:

Kara said...

I love the smell of a summer rain as well. I am also looking forward to fall. It doesn't mean I'm ready for piles of snow and sub-zero temps but I do love fall.

Faith said...

this is such a wonderful list of faves: connecting with a former daycare child, celebrating a milestone birthday with yummy food, getting new garage doors (we had to do that about 10 yrs ago and have lived in our home now for 32 yrs...we upgraded to a higher quality than when we first built the house and are so glad we did!..we even have the code thing so i can walk in the neighborhood and not have to bring a key to get back into the house).

I love the smell of freshly fallen rain on a late summer day.

Happy Weekend and I've been praying for you so keep me posted as to how that's going :)

Barbara H. said...

I love the thought that "the more we develop hearts of gratitude the more we see things to be grateful for," connected with your graphic at the end. God blesses us in so many ways every day, but often we have to intentionally look for them.

It's neat you've known your b-i-l for so long and could celebrate his milestone birthday. That's so sweet that you keep up with some of your former dayhome kids.

We had to replace a couple of things with our garage door several months ago--I couldn't believe how much quieter it is now.

I was the same when our kids were in school--relishing the freedom of summer days, but ready to get back to a routine by the time school started. Nowadays we have to make our own structure, but I still thrive with a little bit--not so much that I feel pressured and driven, but enough to have workable routines.

Susan said...

I like that rain smell too! Good that you got a new garage door. I decorated for fall because I love fall colors and I can keep my mind off the heat outside. Have a great weekend!

Willow said...

We appreciate you, Susanne, for always leading us in our FFFs. Thank you!
I love the smell of the wet earth after the rain, too. And here in Ohio it has been a 'good smell' week with more than an inch of rain.
Yay for the new garage door!

Aritha V. said...

I always enjoy these Friday posts. They make me stop for a moment and think about my own week too.

Karen said...

I love that you make time to celebrate birthdays with your sister and BIL. As our families grow and sometimes move away, it’s hard to do that. My brother and his family live right here in town. I can’t think of the last time we celebrated a birthday together that wasn’t for one of our children.

Those big expenses can be so hard to commit to, but what a difference they make!

nikkipolani said...

Wow, I had not thought of how your bitterly cold winters would affect your garage door! Mine used to screech so that I worried it would knock birds out of the air. Congrats on getting a nice quiet new one!

How lovely that you celebrate together. Sweet time with your little friend.

We're hoping for rain and that wonderful fresh rain smell, too.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne! I agree with you about being intentional about looking for the good in our lives each week! Sounds like you had a good week, with much to be grateful for. I always love beautiful walks and beautiful flowers. Not losing your tooth or going through a root canal is certainly a great reason to be grateful! That's great news for sure! How can it be time for Operation Christmas Child already? Wow, the time sure does go quickly - especially now that I am getting older. Have a wonderful weekend. See you again soon!