Friday, December 01, 2023

Friday's Fave Fave #762




Hello everyone and welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  First off, thank you for your well wishes last week.  I'm feeling much better this week and glad to be back to looking for my blessings and being thankful for them.  Please join us as we intentionally develop hearts and eyes that take note of the good gifts, large and small, that God brings to us.  

birthday dinner ~ last week was hubby's birthday and as is tradition, his sister and her husband  took us out for dinner with the restaurant being his choice.  The food was delicious, the company fun.  It was nice to catch up.  We don't see them often anymore but we always make a point of getting together for all of our birthdays.

~ weekend in Calgary ~  I'm so very glad I started to feel better by the weekend.  Good enough to be able to keep our plans to go to Calgary.  We were on a waiting list to work at the Operation Christmas Child warehouse inspecting and getting the shoebox gifts ready to be shipped off to children around the world.  It's one of both me and my hubby's favorite things to work at together.  Unfortunately we never did get called.  But we still had a lovely couple of days with 2 of our kids.  Still celebrating Hubby's birthday, the kids took him out for his favorite dish (Spaghetti with Browned Butter and Mizithra Cheese) at an Italian restaurant.  We hit up our favorite farmer's market and also attended a huge International Christmas Market that has over 400 booths and vendors. It was a nice weekend getaway.

~ movie evenings ~ Hubby wanted a couple of movies for his birthday so we enjoyed a few evenings of watching them together.  I don't usually go for alien thrillers but I did happen to enjoy this one, A Quiet Place and A Quiet Place Part II.  We kind of laughed after because we thought we probably enjoyed them because the storyline involves the people who survive the alien attack can never make a sound and so there was not a bunch of swearing that these kinds of movies usually have that we had to endure. LOL. But amazingly, though there was hardly any talking in the film it was definitely tense and edge of your seat from beginning to end of both part I and part II and definitely kept our attention..   I kind of really liked the characters, great acting and the part of the daughter is actually played by a deaf actress who did a wonderful job.  

~ commitment free evenings ~  because of whatever cold virus I got, when we came home from the busy weekend I cancelled all other activities for the week and just stayed home.  I felt pretty good in the day when working but by night time I was feeling pretty tired and could feel the head cold symptoms hitting harder.  It was nice to just have nowhere to be, drink hot tea and read a book.  It's taken me a long time to learn that sometimes I just have to say no, guilt free.

~ good ol' Vick's ~  this week I have been very thankful for that jar of VapoRub.  It's helped me to at least get some sleep in the night.  It was a staple in my Mom's medicine cabinet and it is in mine too.  A small yet very appreciated blessing this week for me.  What did people do before all these products that we just take for granted?  

What were your favorite blessings from the week?
















12 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Susanne, good to hear you are doing better. I use Vapor rub too. It always makes me think of my grandmothers and parents. Good that you listen to your body and go to bed early. I have had to listen to my body too. I am finally able to do a few exercises. I am off to read now. Enjoy your weekend!

Barbara H. said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. Belated happy birthday to your husband! It's too bad you didn't get the call about helping with OCC, but I'm glad you had a good weekend in Calgary. I haven't seen those movies, though I love John Krasinski as an actor. That's a good point about the quietness eliminating profanity!

I'm glad you were able to stay home evenings this week and recuperate. Vick's was a staple in our home as we grew up, too.

Faith said...

Susanne, I've been meaning to email you and just...got lazy or something but i am SO thankful that you are feeling better. I did pray for you as you asked and I'm glad to see you could do the weekend getaway. I never heard of those movies but my husband loves that type of thing. Me not so much.

Vicks is my go to (although I rarely get sick...wish it worked on degenerative discs and cervicogenic headaches HAHAH) and I used it on the girls when they were little just like my mom used it on us girls when we were little. It used to make us giggle. Mom would apply it all over our chest and throats and then put a little flannel square on our chests under our pjs. Next morning our stuffiness would be gone! I use it on my feet when they are achy from hiking (sounds weird i know but it works!).

I hope you have a quiet, restful weekend.

nikkipolani said...

What a great idea to have a date on the calendar for your get togethers -- a date no one will forget!

Lots of great memories of a local restaurant that does spaghetti with browned butter mizithra. Glad you had such a fun weekend and feeling well enough to enjoy it with your beloveds.

That's hilarious about the "quiet" part of those alien movies! I'm totally looking those up :-)

Quiet evenings (even without alien movies) and Vicks seem to have given you a much needed break and time to heal. So good.

Wendy said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better and were able to enjoy your Hubby's birthday celebarations. Yes learning to say No is a good thing to do. Have a good weekend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. I think it is so great that you were able to volunteer at the Operation Christmas Child warehouse again this year! So glad you are feeling better. Hahaha my husband also loves the sci-fi and alien movies, but I am not as good as you because I haven't watched one with him in years. Just not my thing at all. So glad you were able to clear your schedule and say NO so you could have an evening to yourself. Self-care is always very important. I hope you have a great weekend. See you again soon!

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I am so glad you are feeling better. I love Vicks! I just stocked up on some yesterday. We loved A Quiet Place and the sequel. Have you seen Birdbox? It is similar, and very good! Have a cozy evening and Happy December!

Willow said...

I love that statement from Joshua Becker (I've been following him since he first started his blog!).
Yes, Vick's was in my grandma's go-to-when-you're-sick cabinet too. And yes, I used it lots when I was a kid.
I'm glad you had a quiet week of evenings. I agree. Sometimes we just need those quiet times.
Your visit with your two children sounds like a wonderful time!
Have a good and quiet weekend!

Melanie said...

I'm sorry to hear you've not been feeling well but I'm glad that you're improving. Vicks is my best friend during the winter months! Happy Belated Birthday to your hubby. I find that saying 'no' is an art form sometimes. Have a blessed weekend.

Karen said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Susanne. I've been AWOL for a while, it's been so crazy busy around here, but it feels good to be back in Blogland. I love hearing about your weekend in Calgary. It would be fun to do something like that at this time of year. And to spend time with your kids, sounds wonderful. I hope you are enjoying the weekend and getting some down time. Karen xo

ellen b. said...

Glad you had a nice time in Calgary even if you didn't get the 'call'. Some old remedies are the best. Hope you are tip top this coming week!

Hena Tayeb said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your husband. Sounds like you celebrated well.
Hope you feel better.