Friday, October 20, 2023

Friday's Fave Five #756



Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  It's that day of the week to take a pause and remember the blessings in you ordinary days of the last week.  Opening our eyes to the blessings in our regular, ordinary days is like training ourselves to move from a half cup empty person to a half cup full person.  And then once you get there it moves you even beyond that to living a life of gratitude for the simplest things without which life would be very much empty.  Yes the big, obvious, firework work blessings are fun and exciting.  And let's be real, they are rare.  It's those little things that lift us throughout the day, that encourage us, that give us fulfillment, that help us to take another step, that point us to evidence of God working in our lives.  They help carry us through,  gets us through tough times, gives us joy and make us realize that we have much to be thankful to God for.  Please join in as we intentionally develop the habit of noticing the simplest of blessings in our lives.

~ the colors of autumn ~ Autumn is really showing off her colors this year.  For some reason the colors just seem to be more rich and beautiful this year around these parts.  My Ohio Buckeye tree has never shown off quite as much as this year with colors of red, orange, yellows and greens all on the same leaf at times.  I couldn't get a picture of the whole tree showing off as a good overnight wind blew off most of the leaves but I did manage grab a leaf off the ground that hadn't turned crispy yet to show you.  



~ church lunch ~ Sunday we stayed at church for a chili fundraiser lunch.  The chili was great but what was even better was the chance to visit.  We sat with an old friend and caught up, visited with a lady we haven't had a chance to talk with for awhile and met a new to us family.  

~ great deals ~ on the weekend I ran into the big chain bookstore to grab my favorite author's new release and while there took a look through the kid's clearance section.  Turns out they were having a "addtional 30% off lowest clearance price" sale.  I scored some great items (2 boxes of crayons in fun containers and 3 pairs of really cute flip flops) for the Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes at a steal of a deal.  Love when I can get better quality items for those boxes and pay very little for them.

~ warm day ~ yesterday the temperature made it up to 24*C (75*F).  It was absolutely gorgeous.  I had the kids and me outside soaking up every precious drop of the warm sunshine that we could.  This weekend will cool a bit but still nice enough for me to get out there and clean up the flower beds and remaining flower pots before the white flakes of that which we do not speak of come a-calling all next week.  

~ new to me coffee ~ usually I'm not that much into the whole pumpkin spice rage in the coffee shops at this time of year but this year I gave a Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew a try.  It was a hot day and I wanted something iced.  I got it without the added vanilla syrup as that just makes it way too sweet for me.  Definitely enjoyed it and adding to my list of coffee drinks I like.

What were blessings in your life this week?










9 comments:

Susan said...

Our church is doing Operation Christmas Child too. I need to try a cold brew too. Those are pretty leaves.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I like the iced pumpkin chia tea latte at Starbucks. It's very good. Our fall colours are less vibrant this year. They say it's because of all the rain we had during the summer.

Faith said...

I wish I liked the pumpkin coffees but I just don't!! I've probably tried every version out there. hahah

LOVE the colors of autumn and that you were able to get a shot of your pretty tree leaves.

YAY for book sales.....i never put in books for the OCC because i never know if i should use spanish or french or whatever. Did you just buy them in English? I'm always hesitant to do so. I love preparing an OCC box...hard to believe it's almost that time already!

The church chili lunch sounds wonderful...and how fun to meet a new family.

I hope you have an awesome weekend. Here in the northeast we are facing a rainy one again. We had a GORGEOUS week...and now here comes rain.....but at least it's not the white stuff of which we will not speak. hahah!

Happy weekend. Make it a restful one.



ellen b. said...

Hope the chili fundraiser was successful. Nice to sit and meet new folk. I really love a good deal and I'm glad you found nice items for your box/boxes. Hope the major snows hold off for a while yet!!

nikkipolani said...

I see how nicely that coffee and hot day combined for a refreshing drink!

Your leaves are certainly throwing a color party -- what a range of great shades.

I agree that those church lunches can promote lovely conversations with new friends and old.

Hurray for great deals when you need them! I've just finished packing up my Christmas Child boxes, too.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Getting great deals for the Christmas Child boxes is always something to be grateful for. Thanks for the reminder that it is almost time to be getting those boxes ready! We have had a lovely fall here too. Your church luncheon sounds nice. Hope you have a great weekend! See you again soon!

Barbara H. said...

I so agree with what you said at the beginning. Often the biggest blessings are the seemingly little ones sprinkled throughout the week.

We're finally getting some full-blown fall color, too. So pretty. Sounds like the church fellowship was fun in many respects. Glad you found such great deals! I need to shop for OCC, too.

We're having some coolness but still some warm afternoons as well.

I love a lot of baked pumpkin treats, but pumpkin as a drink flavor doesn't appeal to me, LOL! I'll leave it for those who love it.

Willow said...

Oh yes! The autumn colors!! I wrote about them in my FFFs too.

I'm glad you are having those wonderful warm days before those white things which shall not be named begin falling from the sky. Here, we are just getting rain, which we need, but it would have been nice not to have it this weekend when The Prof and grandsons are camping.

Church lunches are always good ways to get the fellowship we sometimes miss otherwise.

Have a good restful weekend and enjoy the sunshine.

Wendy said...

I can't manage to like ordinary coffee let alone all the weird and wonderful flavours there are now lol. Glad you found a bargain and I hope you don't get any of the white stuff too soon. Have a good weekend.