Friday, August 25, 2023

Friday's Fave Five #748




Wow, Friday already!  It's time to look for our blessings.  It is our choice what we put our focus on.  I'm certainly not disillusioned to think every day is going to be a walk in the park but even when hard times come, choosing to focus on our blessings comes from the habits we form in the good times.  We don't deny bad times but purposefully choose to focus on gratefulness for good things and blessings.  Please join with us.

~ quick visit with my son and his girlfriend ~ it was a short but sweet visit.  The kids were passing through and staying the night.  It was nice to spend the evening with them before they headed out super early to go on a hike in the mountains.  I love every chance I get to see my grown kids.

~ text updates ~ receiving a couple of text updates from my son and his girlfriend made me very happy.  He knows I try not to worry, so I got a txt just before they got on the boat that takes them to the trailhead and another when they made it back to the boat launch from the hike.  Then when they got back to their city I got a bunch of pics of their day.  Very thoughtful of them.  

~ much needed rain ~ the beginning of the week saw a couple of days with some nice steady, soaking rain.  The ground was very happy as it's been dry here and it was a dry winter.  Our city has been on voluntary water conservation and other cities have had mandatory water conservation required.  We probably need a lot more but any rain we can get right now is a good thing.

~ new shoes, great deal ~ I needed a new pair of black sandals and a store in town was having their big summer clearance.  I don't shop here unless it is clearance sales as they are better quality shoes therefore more expensive.  But I found not only my sandals at half off but also found a gorgeous pair of butter soft leather summer shoes also on a good sale price.  The older I get the more my feet need and appreciate comfortable quality shoes with good support.  Love a great deal and a great find.


~ quiet summer evenings ~ we live on a fairly busy street for both cars and walking traffic.  But this summer the street has been blocked off and only local traffic is supposed to be getting through as they have been installing pedestrian lights on two corners.  It has been wonderful not to have cars roaring past at all hours.  I'm going to miss the stillness once school starts and the traffic is back but have been thankful for the break.

What have been your blessings this week?





















11 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh that was thoughtful of your son. Sounds a better week Susanne. I hope your Mum is doing better too. Have a good weekend.

Debbie said...

I just recently found your blog, so HELLO :)

I love hearing from my big kids, anytime. My youngest and his wife and baby just took a trip to Utah (from Texas) and they kept me informed all the way. I was so thankful.

This week we've had a few illnesses, which we seem to all be coming out of, so I'm very thankful for that.

Also, my feet hurt too! So I'm always searching for some comfy shoes.

Nice to "meet" you! Have a wonderful weekend :)

Barbara H. said...

I love when my kids text at intervals when they are out doing something and then when they send pictures. Glad you got to visit with your son and his girlfriend a bit. Yay for the rain and good shoe deals! What a nice break from traffic. Too bad it can't continue!

Faith said...

I love it when my daughters text me that they're safe at their destination. We never stop being parents! It's great that your boy and his gf got to spend a night with you too!

You can have some of our east coast rain. my goodness. July was SO rainy. It was like APril usually is! Now it's better but....today is overcast and we heard rain in the middle of the night so who knows what the day will bring? as long as the sun is out for the weekend!

Love that you had a break from the traffic and scored some good shoes on sale! I too shop sales but when it comes to shoes I refuse to get cheap ones. I'm on my feet so much...or was ......

In the house we wear no shoes on our feet: barefeet, slippers or socks due to the bamboo floors in two of the main rooms.

Have a restful Weekend Susanne!!

ellen b. said...

I do appreciate it when our adult children take the time to check in and communicate with us. Glad you got those texts and photos. When we have snow and freezing temps our road gets quiet because the large chip and lumber trucks are not allowed on the road then. As soon a Spring comes and the 'freeze' is over they are back again. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I am so happy you had a nice visit with your son. It is always nice to know where they are. I have so much respect for my parents now that I have adult children. They raised five girls!! Have a cozy weekend.

Willow said...

Yes, I appreciate those texts that say, "arrived safely". Any communication with my grown kids is a treasure.
Yay for quiet traffic. We live on a dead end street. We didn't 'plan' it, but we are thankful for it.
And yes to RAIN!!

Susan said...

Our street is busy in the morning and afternoon when kids are dropped off and picked up from school. We got rain from the hurricane/tropical storm came through So Ca. I was in Oregon when it happened. I need a new pair of black shoes. It is always nice to see our kids. Enjoy your weekend!

Karen said...

It's so nice having visits with our kids. They seem to be fewer these days, so all the more meaningful. I find that I buy fewer pairs of shoes, but better quality these days. We had a nice rain yesterday and it continues to be overcast today. A nice change!

Sandi said...

"quiet summer evenings"

These are the best! :)

nikkipolani said...

Agree with your opening comments so much. We all have plenty of heartaches from big to small, but the time to recount and share the blessings is uplifting in many many ways. And it's a gift that keeps on giving as we look back through the weeks and months and years to see God's provision.

Wonderful that you've got some rain to break up those really dry days. And hurray on great shoes at a discount (you've prompted me to do some sale shopping too!).