Friday, July 07, 2023

Friday's Fave Five #741




Hi everyone!  Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  We rolled in late tonight (Thursday night) from a few days of visiting my son and daughter and enjoying some rest and relaxation.  Thursday is always when I do my own FFF post and auto post it so it's always up nice and early for you that are hours ahead of me in time zones but I always unplug from electronics during these times away and don't take my computer with me so my FFF isn't done.  I'm just going to put up Mr. Linky for you and I will join in with a post as soon as I can on Friday morning after I get up.  





Well hello again everyone.  It's now Friday and after a good sleep in I am ready to start the day with FFF.  


~ week off ~  this week is my first week of vacation time from work.  I don't usually take holidays this early in the summer but I actually thought to look ahead on the calendar this year and noticed that Canada Day ( a statutory holiday here in Canada) landed on a Saturday so I took the Friday before off in lieu of and then the next week as vacation time off.  This gives me a glorious 10 whole days off.  We didn't have any plans but just having a staycation is wonderful too where you don't have to set an alarm and hit the floor running in the mornings and just being able to be spur of the moment with no commitments is heaven.

~ little getaway ~ we did take off for a little getaway of 3 days to the big city.  We stayed with my son in his home and just had no real plans but to relax.  And a relaxing time it was.  We had a really nice visit with him and his girlfriend and my daughter who also lives in the city.  He made us Cortado coffees (my new favorite way to drink coffee) as often as we wanted and I got 2/3 of the way through my book while relaxing on his very comfortable deck.  His sweet girlfriend and I marathoned our way through some movies one  evening when everyone else fell asleep on us and we got to know each other a bit.  We did a little window shopping in a few stores and introduced our son to the Pannenkoeken Haus (Dutch Pancake) restaurant which he'd never been to.  All in all a very nice time.

~ The Saskatoon Farm ~ our son wanted to take us to a lovely place about 10 minutes outside the city that started out as a u-pick berry farm but has since grown into a massive nursery with all sorts of attractions.  Their flower displays were stunning and they had shops and cafes to wander through and eat at.  Their half dozen tortoises kept us amused as did the bunnies and their totem pole collection and antique farm implement displays.  Such a lovely place to spend a few hours.  






~ a little impulsive splurge ~ Okay, okay I did make an impulse purchase and no regrets.  I couldn't leave this baby behind especially when it was on for half price.  A whopping 10 dollars.  My husband was a bit skeptical on how we would get it in the car and transport it back home, it is taller than I am,  but when one is determined there is a way.  Tux had a back seat companion for the ride home.  Can't wait to plant it out today!  Edited to Add:  I think it's called Elegant Feather or Dog Fennel.



~ fave foot creme ~ we made a special trip downtown to replenish my favorite foot creme.  I've mentioned The Beehive before and as usual it was hard not to buy the place up.  We got to meet the owner and chat with her about her artisan handmade products which was fun.  She has over 250 hives outside the city and she makes everything on site herself at the little store. 


We took our little trip in the middle of the week so that leaves me with four more days to relax and putz around.  I have more reading plans, maybe knock a thing or two off the summer to do list and generally take it easy.  I am so grateful for time off.  





8 comments:

Faith said...

Those photos of you, hubby and son are awesome!

It sounds like a wonderful getaway!

By "City" i am assuming you mean Calgary. How I long to see Calgary one day!!

Time reading is something I've done a lot of this week and I JUST wrote up the book review for the one I finished this morning. I'm betting you'd enjoy it. It was so good....and CLEAN.

YAY for good homemade all natural foot creme!! I too use a honey type made from bees foot cream and it lasts a good long time which is good because it's pricey.

I don't know what that plant is in your car but it's GORGEOUS! it looks so nice and airy!!

Enjoy the rest of your time off...you deserve it!

ellen b. said...

Hooray for your leisurely time off, Susanne. How nice to be able to visit your son and get to know his girlfriend a bit better. That destination your son took you to looks like a fun place to visit. Happy planting!

Wendy said...

Glad you had a nice mini break and that farm looks amazing. Enjoy the rest of your break.

Willow said...

Your days off sound wonderful and relaxing. Glad you have had that time. And having the time with your daughter, your son and his girl friend makes it even better.
That farm is intriguing.
Have a good weekend reading and resting.

Barbara H. said...

Your week off sounds perfect--a little getaway and adventure alone with relaxing days at home. It was so nice you could visit with your son and daughter and his girlfriend. The Saskatoon Farm sounds like a great place to visit. Enjoy the rest of your time off!

Karen said...

This is such a great list of faves. So nice that you got to spend time with your son and his girlfriend. That nursery gets 5 stars! I would love to wander around a place like that. How nice to have a plant to remember your special day.

I've never heard of a cortado. I think it is similar to how I make my homemade coffee in my espresso machine. I find that I like the smaller size and the milk to coffee ration. I do add foam to it though.

Your 10 day vacation sounds perfect!

marina said...

Congratulations on your vacation! I'm jealous 😄. The Saskatoon Farm looks like a great place to visit. I would love to see those tortoises and bunnies. And the flowers too. Looks like you had a great week with your family, that's really special!

nikkipolani said...

Your sort-of-staycation sounds 100% delightful with plenty of venturing out and staying in and, of course, a visit to see gardens and interesting plants.

Beautiful photos of you all.