Monday, May 22, 2023

Live Your Life: My Story of Loving and Losing Nick Cordero by Amanda Kloots ~ Audiobook Review

In the beginning of the Covid 19 pandemic, Nick Cordero, a star on Broadway and a Tony award nominee, was hospitalized with what they thought to be pneumonia.  Eventually Nick was diagnosed with Covid 19 and had to be put on a ventilator.  This was shocking news as Nick was healthy and young.  In an attempt to cope and being a Christian, his wife Amanda took to her social media accounts asking for prayers for Nick.  She made updates to the account and asked those who knew Nick to sing and dance to a song Nick had written called "Live Your Life" at a particular time of day in a effort to show him when he was better the support he had.  News media picked up on her efforts and soon millions were joining in from around the world when everyone was reeling from the hospitalizations, death and uncertainty at the beginning of the lockdowns.  After a harrowing 95 days where Nick went back and forth getting better and then digressing, when confusion reigned supreme and doctors could not agree, where Amanda had to fight the hospital to see Nick when they were changing the rules daily and where she had to make horrendous medical decisions for Nick without his input (such as amputating his leg), Nick finally succumbed and passed away.  

I picked up this audiobook because I had heard of Amanda's requests for prayer and remembered reading of Nick's passing.  But not on instagram or twitter myself, I didn't know the full story.  Amanda has written an emotional, truthful account of what they, as a family unit, went through during this horrendous time.  Because she narrates it herself the listener is really drawn into their story and all the emotions that went with it every step of the way.  But it is not just a story of how Covid 19 changed their lives and stole from them.  Amanda weaves their love story into it throughout.  So it's not just an account of tragedy but a love story, a picture of courage and faith in the most trying of times, of confusion and trust, of what community means in good times and in bad, of the meaning of family and loss.  I laughed with her and wept with her throughout the book.

I rated it a 9.5/10  


2023 Reading Goal Challenge:  A book a month off my library list




3 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

I remember this. Such a scary time. I am sure the audiobook is very interesting. Thanks for the review.

Barbara H. said...

I don't think I remember hearing about this. It's so tragic. I hope the powers that be learn from this how to respond better next time. Of course, at the beginning of the pandemic, no one really knew what we were dealing with. I'm so thankful they could trust in the Lord's grace and help through it.

Faith said...

I sort of remember this but it's fuzzy. Is it also a real book?? As in hardcover? idon't do audio books hahah
It sounds so good!!