Friday, September 30, 2022

Friday's Fave Five #701



Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  Here it is the end of September already.  The time is going so quickly this year.  I love fall and as I look back I see there are many things that have been a blessing in my life this last week.  Won't you join me in sharing some of the blessings from your past week?

~ fall decor ~ the past couple of years I haven't been too much into changing out decor except for at Christmas and even that was scaled back a lot from previous years.  Life has just been too busy and  overwhelming to worry about decor.  But when we went to visit my oldest last month and hit up our favorite store I admired these gorgeous pillows, hummed and hawed about getting one and eventually left them on the shelf.  But my sweet hubby convinced me to get not just one but both of the ones I was loving and I'm so glad he did.  I can handle switching out the pillows on the couches and lighting a fall candle.  I love everything about these pillows:  the color, the textures and the print.  



~ first ever batch of refridgerator pickles ~ my friend had gifted me with with some homegrown cucumbers a few weeks ago.  I saved some of the smaller ones to try my hand at fridge pickles.  I remember Hubby's Mom used to make them and liking them.  I tried to follow a recipe I had found but didn't have coriander or mustard seed, so I mish-mashed a few recipes together and they turned out great.  It was fun, quick and easy and it won't be the last time I make these.





~ still blooming ~ here it is the day before October and my deck flower pots are still looking gorgeous.  They bring a smile to me every time I look at them and water them and marvel at how resilient to cooler weather they have been.  





~ relaxing Sunday afternoon ~ we were invited to lunch on Sunday to one of my dayhome family's home.  They live on a acreage just outside of town and we spent a lovely relaxing afternoon.  The day was absolutely gorgeous, they cooked us a lovely steak bbq and then after we took a walk around the lovely property and met some of shetland ponies, donkeys, and a horse.  Lovely way to end a weekend.





~ extra day off today ~ today is a federal holiday, National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, but not everyone gets it off.  The current government established the day last year to honor and remember the First Nations children that died and the survivors of a tragedy of Canadian history, the residential schools, where so many First Nations families were separated, some never to see each other again, the children who died while in the care of these schools and to recognize the ongoing impact this has had on their peoples and communities.   I only have one child at the moment in dayhome and his parents got it off so they gave me the day off too.   I may watch the commemorative gathering being broadcast from Ottawa on tv or go to one of the local activities.



What have been your favorite blessings this past week that you are grateful and thankful for?








10 comments:

Faith said...

These are wonderful blessings...isn't the Lord great?? Those pillows are so pretty!! I just love the prints.....

and I'm having the same results with my deck flowers! I can't believe some of them are still in bloom.....they've been abundantly blooming since the end of May!! Yours are so pretty.....

YAY for a day off even though the commemoration is a very serious and difficult one history-wise.

Love relaxing Sunday afternoons...just what our bodies and souls need.

Have a wonderful weekend Susanne!

Barbara Harper said...

Those pillows are so cute! I may get fall decor out this week. I don't have much, but it's nice to change things up a little here and there. I'm glad your pickles turned out well. Our planter and hanging basket flowers are still blooming nicely as well. Such a delight. Yay for the day off and the relaxing Sunday afternoon.

Melanie said...

Congrats on the pickles! I've yet to ever attempt that but if I was given a bunch of cucumbers, I'd find a way! Relaxing with friends and walking the property, seeing their donkeys and ponies sounds like a lovely way to spend the afternoon. I didn't know about the holiday you mentioned. I'm glad that First Nation families are being recognized. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love the pillows. Those pickles sound good. That is so great that Canada is officially recognizing the sufferings of indigenous people, and it means an extra day off! Looks like you had nice weekend visit with friends. I hope your weekend is a good one. See you again soon!

ellen b. said...

Those pillows are very nice. Sounds like you had a good week starting off with your special invite for a Sunday meal. Enjoy your free day and the weekend!

nikkipolani said...

I love how much your post is about the senses. Pretty and comfy looking pillows (and that sofa too!), tasty looking pickles, brilliant colors of your late summer blooms, and relaxing views of acreage (partly relaxing because it's not yours to maintain!).

Related to Faith's comment -- God makes beautiful things.

Willow said...

Yay for a day off!
You have made me crave pickles now. They look great.
Your flowers do look wonderful. And they are thriving all the way to October!
Your friends' acreage seems like a lovely place; glad you enjoyed your time with them.
Have a good weekend!

Karen said...

I love the pillows! And your flowers look great. Mine are really on the last days right now. I don't think I nurtured them enough when the heat was really bad in August. Your Sunday afternoon sounds so nice. It would be fun to be around the animals and it looks like a beautiful day.

Wendy said...

Your flowers are still looking lovely. Hope you enjoyed your day off and are having a good weekend.

PaulaShort said...

I love your pillows. Congratulations with your pickles. What a wonderful Sunday sounds like you had a sensational day. That walk on the property and seeing the animals sounds awesome. Your deck flowers still look great indeed.
Have a great week!