Monday, September 12, 2022

Chicken Caesar Zucchini Boats

Last week there was a knock on my door and there stood my neighbor with the dreaded neighbor gift of zucchini in her hands.  Except that I don't dread a gift of zucchini at all since I have discovered zucchini boats!  I love them.  They are a quick and easy supper and so delicious.   You can use several smaller zucchinis or like in this instance, it was one large zucchini that could feed 3 or 4 people depending on appetites.  I cut this particular zucchini in half both lengthwise and right before serving cut it in half widthwise making 4 average sized servings. 

I have made several different kinds of zucchini boats over the last couple of years, including this one which was amazing.  This time I wanted to use what I had on hand which was extra Caesar Salad dressing from an Italian takeout we had.  But after much googling and searching I couldn't find a recipe, so I made one up and it turned out delicious!  So delicious, in fact, that we dug into it before I thought to take a picture.  But  I'm sharing the recipe with you all regardless for when and if you all get the zucchini gift and want something to do with it other than zucchini loaves.  

SUE'S CAESAR SALAD ZUCCHINI BOATS

serves 4

- 1 large zucchini or 2 med zucchinis 
 - 3 large chicken breasts 
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped 
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice 
- Caesar salad dressing  
- 2/3 cup croutons  food processed or crushed to crumbs 
   (I used caesar salad croutons but you can also use panko or regular bread crumbs)
- 1/3 cup + 2 TBSP finely grated parmesan cheese  

Place chicken breast in a saute pan with water to cover, a couple shakes of salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes until cooked through and tender.  Remove to cutting board and shred with two forks.  

While chicken is cooking, wash zucchini and cut in half length wise.  Deseed by running a spoon down the center removing seeds.  Make sure you have enough of a pocket to hold your filling but don't remove so much zucchini that there is no structure to your "boat".   

Place zucchini on baking tray and drizzle with a touch of olive oil. Bake at 400*F  until it has some give when sides are squeezed in. For my large zucchini, it took about  25 minutes.  You don't want it to be mushy and with no structure.  It needs to be tender but strong enough to hold the filling without collapsing. The small zucchinis will only take about  15 minutes. When done drain any water out of the baked boats. 

Change oven setting to broil and move oven racks higher if need be.

 Place chicken in bowl.  Add chopped spinach, 2 tbsp parmesan, lemon juice and enough salad dressing to taste. We tend to like it nice and creamy so used approximately 1/4  cup or more dressing. Start with a few tablespoons and adjust to your tastes.  Fill zucchini boats with mixture, dividing evenly.

Mix crumbs with 1/3 c parmesan. Sprinkle evenly over boats. Put under the broiler in oven and broil until crumb topping is slightly browned. Watch carefully as it turns quickly.   Remove and let sit for a couple of minutes.  

If your zucchini was on the larger size, cut in half width wise to make 4 normal sized servings.  






5 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

This recipe sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing. I will keep it in mind next time a neighbor brings over some zucchini!

Billie Jo said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you for this! I will pass it along to my daughter Peyton. She is a wonderful cook!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Faith said...

ooh...YUMMY!!! Thanks for this recipe. I love zucchini and always like new recipes.

ellen b. said...

I'll pass this along to our kids who probably have lots of zucchini right about now! Looks delicious.