Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Butternut Squash and Black Bean Stew

Well it is officially fall and that means the start of all lovely things fall like autumn colors, comfy sweaters, and the move from cool light summer salad-y fare to warm and cozy soups and stews.  I found this recipe when it came through my facebook feed and it originated from here. (This website has some awesome looking plant based recipes to check out!) I tucked it away in anticipation of the cooler weather coming and on a cooler, windy night last week it made it to the dinner table.  I gave it a few tweaks and adapted it to what I had available to me.  I cannot find canned fire-roasted tomatoes in my area for the life of me but I made do and I think it turned out wonderful.  I also used frozen squash for convenience and less prep time but by all means you can use a fresh butternut squash cut into small chunks and then just add in with the tomatoes as per the original recipe..  Definitely a keeper.  And it also scores points for being vegan/vegetarian if you choose the vegetable broth.  And as I'm hoping to get back to at least a couple of meatless dinners a month this recipe will be going into that rotation.   I don't know about your area but beef is at a ridiculous cost right now which boggles my mind as beef is one of main industries of my province!   

BLACK BEAN & BUTTERNUT SQUASH STEW
(recipe adapted from Plant Based RD)


- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
-1 rib of celery, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked bittersweet Spanish paprika (or any smoked paprika)
- 1 Tbsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (or 15 oz can)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen diced butternut squash
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- brown rice (use your favorite brand, enough to serve 4)

Prepare brown rice according to directions.

While rice is cooking, heat oil in a heavy bottomed or soup pot over medium heat.  When hot but not burning add in onion and celery and a pinch of salt.  Cook stirring occasionally until onion is translucent.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.  

Add in cumin, coriander, paprika, smoked paprika, basil, cinnamon and salt, stirring constant for about 30 seconds.  

Add black beans, canned tomatoes, and red lentils.  Stir and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and continue to simmer for 25 minutes.  Add frozen butternut squash and continue to simmer for  4 more minutes.  Do not cook longer at this point or the squash will disintegrate.  

Serve beside or over the rice garnished with the chopped cilantro if desired.










2 comments:

Danielle's Sweets said...

Yum! This looks delicious! You had me a butternut squash. I love soups this time of year and I'm looking forward to trying this one. Thank you for sharing! :)

Faith said...

OH YES!!! I"m going to print this out!! this will be a hit with me and claire and hopefully Dave!