Saturday, August 13, 2022

When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer ~ Book Review

Nineteen year old Libby is a time crosser.  She lives two lives simultaneously, one in 1774 Williamsburg, Virginia, as Libby, daughter of a Mom who also was a time crosser.  Her other life is in 1914 New York as Elizabeth, daughter of a mother bent on marrying her off to an English marquess so that their social standing can advance.  She falls asleep in one life to wake up in the other with no time passing in either while away from it and with full memory of the other life.  She must not search for answers for either path or for any reason try to change either path with any foreknowledge she might obtain in either life.  Deep inside she is the same person but the two lives could not be more different.  On her 21st birthday she will have the choice to forfeit one path and stay in the other forever.   

In 1774, Libby's father has recently passed away and she and her Mom are trying to keep her father's print shop going.  Women in business aren't exactly supported in this time period but they manage to land a contract with the House of Burgesses and the Royal Governor thanks to her friendship with a young member.  But when the Patriots ask them to do some printing for them it could just put all they've worked for into jeopardy.  Libby has purpose in this path as she supports the suffragette movement and the Patriots.  In 1914 as Elizabeth she has a loving relationship with her father but her Mother has one focus and one focus only and that is to marry her to English aristocracy so that her family's social standing might advance.  No matter the cost and no matter how Elizabeth feels about it.  As her 21st birthday approaches in both time paths there is no question in Libby/Elizabeth's mind which path she wants to choose though it breaks her heart to know some of her relationships will have to be left and there will be heartbreak at her death in that path.  There is uncertainty in both paths  but when the day comes can she trust that God has a plan for her?  

I loved this story.  It is such a unique approach to dual time lines, time travel, historical fiction.  The story was engaging right from the beginning as Libby's two different lives were laid out.  Interestingly everything Libby was fighting for and working towards in 1774 was exactly what her mother in 1914 was trying to force upon her.  Libby faced different wars in both of her timelines and I was totally invested in both of her story lines.  Amazingly the last third of the book was exactly what I needed at this time in my own life.  It is a Christian fiction story but I don't feel it was preachy but a major encouragement to trust in the sovereignty of God through uncertainty and grief and with one's purpose and life.  Such a good story.  Can't wait for book 2 coming next year.  

I gave it a huge 10 out of 10!

Reading Challenge Goals Met:  New to me author and Read One a Month from my library holds











4 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

This sounds really good. I'm putting it on my TBR list.

Karen said...

This sounds wonderful, my kind of story. It's going on my list.

Don't give up on my for FFF. It's taking me longer to settle back in than I thought. I wrote my list this week, just haven't gotten it to my blog! xo

Faith said...

it sounds good but i think the dual lives would be confusing to me. Did you find it easy to keep track of??

Susanne said...

Faith: Not confusing at all! It was well done.