Thursday, June 30, 2022

July 2022 Reading Possibilities

Well, June was a tough month to read for me.  So many things that caused my mind to be overwhelmed making it a bit harder to pick up my books.  I did, however, manage to finish one novel off the Read Your Shelf challenge stack and get a good 1/3 start into another.  And I did manage to add a non-fiction finished which was my study book with a friend, and an audio book which would also qualify for non-fiction.  So not too terribly bad.  3 books finished and 1/3 of the way into another.

July's Read Your Shelf prompt is "A Book You've Been Avoiding But Actually Want To Read".  I find this prompt hard for this month because summer is when I want to read fun and fluffy, not necessarily dive into a book that I've been avoiding for whatever reason.  The prompt does not scream "beach read" to me.  But I did manage to find quite a few of those in my stacks.  Some I've been avoiding because they are big books, others because I find them intimidating (hello Jodi Picoult), and two more because they are the last in their series and both series have been ok but not spectacular for me where I'm just itching to read the next book so I've  been avoiding the last installments even though I do want to read both of them and finish it off.  Then I have a few randoms in there to meet my other monthly goals of a non-fiction, an audiobook, library books and a book purchased in 2020 - 2022.  

So here's my possibilities for July:





READ YOUR SHELF CHALLENGEJuly Prompt - A book you've been avoiding but want to read

          ~ The Little Old Lady Behaving Badly by Catharina Ingleman-Sundberg (series)
          ~ The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
          ~ The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
          ~ Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult
          ~ The Pact by Jodi Picoult  (finished)
          ~ Letters to the Lost by Iona Grey (pre 2020 purchase!)
          ~ The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
          ~Midnight Sea by Colleen Coble (series and pre 2020 purchase)


NON-FICTION

          ~ Praying the Scriptures for Your Adult Children by Jodie Berndt
          (both of these also qualify for books purchased in 2020 - 2022)


AUDIOBOOK

          ~ Don't Overthink It by Anne Bogel (also qualifies for a book purchased in 2020 - 2022) (finished)


BOOK PURCHASED 2020 - 2022

          ~ A Promise to Remember by Kathryn Cushman
          ~ Little Broken Things by Nicole Baart
          ~ The Record Keeper by Charles Martin (July 5 release)


LIBRARY HOLDS

          ~ The Curator's Daughter by Melanie Dobson
          ~ Forgiving Paris by Karen Kingsbury
          ~ Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus  (DNF)


So there are my possibilities for July.  This may be the month I finally tackle a Jodie Picoult book.  All you Jodi Picoult readers which one should I do of the three listed?  I thought I had My Sister's Keeper too but can't seem to find it.  

What are you reading this July?  Do you change up your reading to lighter, fluffier stuff in summertime?  What makes a great "beach read" for you?  





          


2 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

Though I haven't been doing this challenge, I just finished a book I had been putting off for a long time--The Confessions of St. Augustine. The language wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be, but his very long paragraphs following long trails of thoughts were hard to take in. He could've used Anne's book about overhthinking.

I haven't read anything by Jodi Picoult so far.

Faith said...

you'll have to let me know how you liked Picoult's book The Storyteller. I did NOT like that one AT ALL. TOO weird. Yet I LOVED all of her other books...the most recent one was amazing (about the pandemic).
The Pact was the first JOdi book i read (SO GOOD) and i LOVED LOVED LOVED Kristen Hannah's THe Nightingale. one of my very faves by her.

Happy reading!! I'm sticking to mostly light reading this month although i'm wrapping up an Adirondack history (non fiction) book and that is more on the serious side.