Sunday, April 24, 2022

Another Gospel? by Alisa Childers ~ Book Review (audiobook)


Alisa Childers first became known as a member of the Christian music group ZOEgirl.  She grew up in the Christian faith and her father is Chuck Girard, another popular Christian music artist.  She watched her Dad and Mom walk out their faith all of her life.  When Alisa was a young adult she attended a class that her pastor was running at the church.  When she got there her pastor described himself as a "hopeful agnostic" and proceeded to pick apart the foundational beliefs that Christians have held for years presenting a "Progressive Christianity" world view to his class.  Alisa's faith was thrown into a tailspin but as she seriously cried out to God for truth, God led her back to the bible and historical Christianity and learning how to stand for biblical faith in a world that is trying to discount historical faith and cause believers to deconstruct their faith into a free for all way of thinking until there is nothing biblical left about it.  

This is one of the best books I've "read" about defending historical Christianity.  Alisa has a wonderful way of interweaving her story, revealing lies and mistruths and proving biblical foundational truths without the book being heavy or un-understandable.  I first heard of her when I starting watching her Youtube channel when I started my own search after hearing of so many young Christians "deconstructing" their faith.  Alisa helps us define clearly what foundational truths Christians need to believe and why and where we can differ and have grace with one another.   Highly, highly recommend this book.  While I loved listening to this in Alisa's own voice I will be purchasing a physical copy of this book so that I can underline and annotate.  

I gave this book a solid  10/10
Reading Goal Met:  Read at least 3 non-fiction books in 2022 (I've now met this goal for the year!  Yay!)

4 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

I have heard nothing but good things about this book. I want to read it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Faith said...

Our pastor speaks highly of this book I think (i think this is the one!). I've heard SO MANY good things about it. I honestly think all people who claim to be "Christians" need to read this. Ive read parts of it and seriously think I'm going to buy it. (my parents used to LOVE LOVE LOVE Chuck Girard!!!!). I didn't know she was his daughter!!

Barbara Harper said...

I loved this book, too, and feel it will probably be one of the most important books I read this year. (My review is here: https://barbaraleeharper.com/2022/04/12/another-gospel-a-lifelong-christian-seeks-truth-in-response-to-progressive-christianity/). I really admire that she didn't just wallow in doubts, but she set out to find out what was true. And I agree, she shared it in a very readable way.

ellen b. said...

It made me think of Galatians 1:6af
"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him wo called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel--not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As I've said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.