Friday, September 03, 2021

Friday's Fave Five #648



Happy Friday, everyone and welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  Intentionally taking time to look back over the week and find blessings in our everyday.  Sometimes they are big and obvious, sometimes unless you think about it they might pass you right by.  But we are sharing 5 of our favorites.  Please join  us in developing thankful lives.

~ bittersweet goodbyes ~ in some ways this last week was very difficult.  I lost 3 dayhome kids to school. I will miss everyone of them.  They were all special and unique and a pleasure to have in my dayhome.  One of the little girls was one of those kids that a child care provider only finds a few of in her career, the one that you really, really connect with and share a very special bond with.  It was most difficult and I spent a lot of last weekend crying knowing the day was coming.  She's been with me since she was 1.  Her mom gave me a beautiful bouquet and a card with a very special personal note in it that made me cry and her Dad sent me a really nice text thanking me too.  I was blessed to have this little one and her family as a part of my life over the last 4 years.  I will miss all 3 kids greatly.



~ mint tea ~ it definitely feels like fall is starting to make itself known around here.  The evenings have cooled off and with that I start to crave tea to relax after supper.  I've pulled out the stash of mint teas to enjoy and wind down the day with.

~ light at the end of the tunnel ~ we are seeing the end of the selling of Mom's house.  It has been a ton of work but we've just got a few more things left to sell or donate, a couple of dump runs, then the final clean.  It also has been bittersweet.  My sis and I grew up there, moved there when I was almost 5 and my sister almost 3.  Lots of memories in that house.

~ helpful neighbors ~ the neighbor beside my mom's house, who has been her neighbor for many, many years has lent a hand with different things around the house and it has been a real blessing.  We sure didn't expect it of him but he just stepped up and it really did lighten the load on us in a lot of ways.  Very thankful for his generosity of time and effort.

~peaceful, no noise later evenings ~ This last couple of weeks has been especially noisy during the day with new dayhome kids and the crying and the extra chaos that goes with that, some of the kids birthdays being celebrated which always generates more excitement and therefore more noise, and having family home.  I've been intentionally turning off any noise making things such as tv or youtube and just enjoying some silence.  It is such a blessing to just think and actually hear my own thoughts, read without competing shows or talking in the background and just generally find peace in the stillness. 

What have been your favorite blessings?









8 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I have just finished cleaning out my mother’s apartment after her death at the end of June. We were fortunate that she had moved into an apartment and downsized from her big house before her death. What a difficult time…clearing out a lifetime and facing a new kind of life without one’s mother. I sobbed all the way to work the day I put her key in the mailbox for the landlady. I know what you mean about falling in love with a special child. It’s hard to see them grow up and away. So sweet that her parents acknowledged you that way. I can so relate to having quiet time at night after working with young children all day.

Barbara Harper said...

Oh, that's hard to say good-bye to a child who has been in your care so long, especially one with whom you have a special connection. And to deal with your childhood home must be very emotional.

That was so good of your mom's neighbor to pitch in and help. I love those moments of silence, especially after busy or noisy days.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. I know how much work it is to get a family home with so many memories ready to sell. So glad your mom's neighbor was willing to help. The flowers from your Day Home child's family are beautiful. You have had such a positive impact on that child's life and been a blessing to the family. Sometimes, just turning of the noise an being quiet is so good for our brain and soul - and when we can best hear God's voice in our thoughts too! Have a lovely weekend!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how the older we get, the more we appreciate NO NOISE!! :-)
Goodbyes are hard. But the memories are wonderful. :-) --Ann

nikkipolani said...

That all-too-brief description of work, donate, dump, clean is like the tip of the iceberg, isn't it? "A lot of work" just doesn't seem to cover the hours (weeks, really) of mental and physical exertion. Our emotions just can't keep up with it all. Bittersweet indeed.

So nice to know your neighbors have been helpful, too. So much of people's kind natures come out in times of need.

I echo Ann's comment above about noise! Here's to more peaceful evenings.

Karen said...

Lots of letting go for you this week. You provide a real special place for the dayhome kids. The flowers from the little one's mom are just gorgeous.

When my dad moved from our family home, he sold it to my brother, who raised his family there. It's nice to have family gatherings there still.

I find myself craving silence these days! It must be my age, lol.

Willow said...

I am glad your mom's neighbor was there to help. I know the big emotions that go with the removing of your mom's treasures from her home.

Oh yes! Quiet evenings with mint tea are such a relief. I have been growing and drying three kinds of mint--chocolate mint, peppermint, and spearmint. I drank some of the chocolate mint last night and it reminded me of York mints.

Have a good QUIET weekend.

ellen b. said...

Oh boy, I can imagine the sadness of losing your little friend going off to school. How sweet that you were acknowledged by both parents. Very sweet. Hope you are enjoying a quiet weekend!