Sunday, May 09, 2021

May 2021 Reading Possibility Pile

A week into May already and this post is a bit late but oh well.  April was a pretty good reading month though I didn't get to any of my most recently purchased books choices but that is ok.  This month the prompt for the "Read Your Shelf Challenge" is a tough one for me so I'll be able to get to more of my purchased books.  The prompt for May is "A Book You Should Have Read in High School".  Well goodness, that was some time ago and I have no idea what was required reading back then.  The only ones that come to mind is "The Great Gatsby" and I remember not liking it very much and I have no desire to do a revisit with it.  And "1984" which I don't own so it defeats the purpose of "read your shelf".  And good ol' Shakespeare.  Yeah, no thanks.  Shakespeare and I are just didn't click.  I tried to google it but drew a blank except for a more recent list that has the book "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini.  That I own so I'll add that to my options along with "Oliver Twist" and "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" because they are classics and sound like it would have been on a high school list at some time or another?  Or maybe I dream.  LOL.  

Along with my other reading challenges here is my possibilities for May:







ON HOLD AT THE LIBRARY:

         ~The Nature of Fragile Things by Susan Meissner 
         ~Echoes Among the Stones by Jaime Jo Wright


READ YOUR BOOKSHELF CHALLENGE:  (April Prompt:  something you should have read in high school)

         ~Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (modern library classics edition)
         ~A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
         ~The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (finished)


BOOKS PURCHASED IN 2019-2021

          ~Fragments of Light by Michele Phoenix (finished)
          ~As the Light Fades by Catherine West
          ~Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon
          ~The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter by Hazel Gaynor
          ~The Scent Keeper by Erica Bauermeister

And one I found in a Little Free Library that looks very interesting:




How will I ever decide?  What are you reading this month?




5 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

I just read (reread?) 1984 last year. Or rather, listened to the audiobook. I can't say it was an enjoyable read, but it was interesting--almost chilling in places to see how some of the predictions have been or are coming true. I've thought about Great Gatsby and even picked it up once, but just couldn't get going. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was good.

I'm listening to Brave New World -- like 1984, not really enjoyable, but interesting in some ways. I'm also reading Peter Pan and Ten Words to Live By about the 10 commandments by Jen Wilkin--the latter very good.

Susanne said...

Barbara: Ten Words to Live By is on my want to read list!

Karen said...

I love seeing your stack of books, it gives me so many ideas! A Tree Grows in Brooklynn is a fave of mine. I think partly because my mother grew up in the city on the east coast and it reminds me so much of her stories of her childhood, and the main character reminds me of my mom.

I didn't have a very good reading month in April. I tried for a couple of weeks to get through a book that I didn't like, and finally gave up on it. What a waste of time! Right now I'm reading Becoming Mrs. Lewis. It's a lovely story that I could sink into right away.

Faith said...

I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the first time when i was 14 and in the 8th grade. It was required reading for my girls' Advnaced hOnors English class in 7th grade. And I re-read it just last year sometime! I JUST LOVE THAT BOOK. It was my fave when i was a teen.

The Kite Runner was absolutely excellent. I read another one by him too but can't remember the title.

The Great Gatsby was AWESOME. SO WELL WRITTEN but then again how can you go wrong with F Scot???? We love that novel in our home (Claire just re-read it last winter while home on break) and we watch the movie often.

This month I am reading Maeve Binchy's The GLass LAke (somehow this is the ONE book of hers I neglected to read so my daughter Courtney has a copy and lent it to me). I'm also reading a non fiction one for my Book Group (Small Acts of Grace).

Willow said...

I have The Great Influenza by John Barry. My daughter recommended it highly and gave me hers.