Monday, April 26, 2021

Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg ~ Book Review

Sisters Kitty and Louise both have waved their boy friends off as they went to fight across the ocean in WWII.  Now at home both are doing what they can to help the war effort.  Going without, dancing at the dance hall with soldiers and writing to as many as they can are just some of the things that have become part of daily life.  While Louise finds writing easy and is never without things to say to her fiance, telling him about her days and romantic things from her heart, Kitty is having difficulty writing a paragraph much less ones with romantic notions.  Words just won't come.  When she meets a soldier at a dance and starts writing to him the words just flow.  Now everything Kitty thought about love and romance is thrown into confusion as she works this through in her heart.

I found this book ok.  There were a lot of characters to contend with, Kitty and Louise being from a large Irish family.  Kitty's constant inward looking grew a bit tiresome to me.  It just didn't capture me.  I pushed through just to see how it came out in the end.  But then I found the ending odd and it left me scratching my head, like there was a big gaping hole in the story.    I felt there was not enough explanation of how the conclusion got to the point it did.  What I did like was the glimpse of what it was like for ordinary families that were left behind while their husbands, fathers, brothers and boyfriends were off to war.  The everyday worries that plagued not only the adults but the children as well, no matter how they tried to keep it from the children.  What they had to do with all the rationing, how they got through their days.  That was well described.

I rated this a 6.5/10

Read Your Shelf Challenge Goal Met:  April Prompt:  Read a book with 5+ words in the title








3 comments:

Faith said...

I saw this and wondered about it as I love WWII historical fiction but there's just so many other good authors that I'll probably pass on this. I"m feeling the same way about this latest Jodi Picoult books. ALL of her other books (minus 1) i read in 2-3 days. THis one??? i've had it over a week and I just am sooooo sick of some of the plot. It's taking FOREVER to wrap up. My sister hated it, my cousin said "eh" and me?? I like the characters.....but.....ugh...i wanna finish it to see what happens but my goodness....this is the first Picoult that didn't grab me.

Susanne said...

Faith: I loved the last Elizabeth Berg I read.  I think I was a 9 or 10.  But this one just didn't do it for me.  And the ending was just odd and not believable because there was too much left out as to how they got to their conclusion.  At least for me.  This one was an older one.  But I'll give her another go because like I said the first I read was so good.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I have read at least one book by this author (I think I read one and have one on my "to read" shelf). It was all right, but not great. I don't enjoy fiction books that just drag along.