Saturday, November 14, 2020

The Scroll by Grant R. Jeffrey and Alton L. Gansky

David Chambers is a world renowned biblical archeologist in the top of his field.  With his faith fueling him his passionate work has helped unearth some of the most ancient tunnels under the Holy Land.   But some of life's circumstances have left David's faith in ruins and he has left biblical archeology to pursue other disciplines.  When an old friend and mentor contacts David and talks him into a mysterious dig involving riches that described in the Copper Scroll, against his better judgement David agrees to come to Jerusalem to meet with his friend and fellow scholar.  When he arrives, however,  not only has his former fiance been called and is there but also his former nemesis, both of whom are also archeologists, and none have been told the whole story.  Will the draw of the historical dig be enough for them to put their history behind them and work together or will the danger that eventually stalks them cause them to leave the ancient secrets buried?

This sounded like a great suspenseful premise.  One of the co-writers is Grant R. Jeffrey who is world renowned for his knowledge of bible prophecy, so you know it is going to have all sorts of detail in that area and it did.  I really enjoyed the descriptions of the Middle East especially as it related to biblical prophesy.  I, as the reader, also learned a lot about modern day politics surrounding the Holy City and how biblical treasures and archeology are a minefield and must be protected.  But sometimes the detail in the conversations amongst the characters tended more toward schooling the reader on the subject rather than coming across as a natural conversation between people and that is where it bogged down a bit and kept it from going from a good read to a great read for me.   I also became bored with the tension between the three main characters.  They reminded me more of angsty teenagers than mature professionals high in their field, especially the sulky and irritable main character who was very hard to like.   I did, however, like the exploration the authors made of David Chamber's loss of faith while in a profession that mainly proved the truth of the Bible.  His struggles in that area made the story for me.   Once the danger started in the story is when it really picked up for me and moved it along to it's conclusion.

I gave it a 6/10     



3 comments:

Karen said...

I love reading books that take me places I'm not familiar with. This sounds like it might be worth a read just for that. I'll put it on my list.

Faith said...

never even heard of this book! i'd probably pass on this one.

Barbara Harper said...

I've heard of Alton Gansky (though I've not read him yet) but not Grant Jeffrey. I would get bogged down in too-technical language, too.