Friday, July 10, 2020

Friday's Fave Five #592




Welcome everyone.  I am going to put up Mr. Linky and will post up my fave fives in the morning.  Last night we had my Mom's 88th birthday family celebration and I was exhausted and still had disinfecting to do before I could go to bed.  So I will do up my post as soon as I can today.  Please link on if you are ready and I will jump on board as soon as I can.

Good morning and welcome to Friday.  It's time to slow down, pause and look at what has blessed us over the past week.  Please join in as we intentionally look for how God has blessed our everyday lives whether we've had a slow week or a busy week, an laid back week or a super busy week, and easy week or a stressful week.  It is up to us what we choose to put our focus upon, up to us individually to purposefully look for the good in each day.  

~ Mom's 88th birthday ~ we had to keep it simple due to the pandemic.  We were not comfortable with taking her to a restaurant so we took advantage of my sis's lovely large deck and brought in a bunch of pizza, her favorite cake and fruit.  We couldn't have asked for a more gorgeous evening as we honored our Mom.




~ picnic & horseshoes ~ Sunday was a gorgeous day and we hadn't spent anytime with my sis and brother in law since the whole COVID thing began.  So we made a date for a picnic and horseshoes down in the river bottom.  Such a gorgeous day, couldn't have been nicer.  Hot but not blistering, no wind.  We weren't allowed a fire down there, bummer out hot dog roast got kaboshed, but the sandwiches did just fine.  We rounded it out with a fun game of horseshoes.  Three of us had never played before, and we thought we were doing not bad, till a couple of real horse shoe players came along and then it was just darn embarrassing.  LOL. But we had a great time laughing at ourselves.  Team S won one game, barely, and Team G won the other one handily.  It was so good to actually be with other people other than just ourselves.





~ small group face to face ~ for our last night of "official" small group meeting for the summer we bid zoom good bye and met together for the first time since March.  We bought lawn chairs and met outside at the church.  We could of gone in but then we would have had to sanitize things when done and I was just not up for that after more than an hour of sanitizing daily at home for work.  It was a bit windy but we sat in the covered alcove entry to the church using the building as a wind break and it was doable.  It was so good being together actually seeing each other and the study fostered some really good thinking and discussion.  Great way to end for the summer.





~ ice cream treat ~ I don't eat much ice cream and sweets anymore and Hubby doesn't indulge in sugar so I don't buy ice cream anymore.  'Cause if it's around I will eat it.  But once in a while a craving comes so I bought one of these smaller containers of a better quality ice cream and it's just right.  It's about 3 servings for me and the flavor is really good so I feel like I've had a really nice treat instead of just a mediocre one.  And it doesn't get all freezer burnt like bigger containers of ice tend to do around here.  I tried a couple different flavors but so far this is my favorite.



~ real live snail mail ~ that wasn't a bill!!!  Faith sent me a lovely card and coloring page that had a great hymn that I'd never heard before.  What a blessing it was in so many ways.  I miss the days of snail mail.  It was really fun to find that in the mailbox.  And she knows me well, sending me a card with a bike on it.  




This was one long week for me.  But as I paused to find the good & lovely things in each day I felt so uplifted and joyful.  I hope you find that too, with doing FFF.  Have a great weekend.








9 comments:

Wendy said...

Belated birthday wishes to your Mum. I'm glad you got to celebrate together and have some family time. Mmm the ice cream looks yummy. Oh yes it's lovely to get snail mail - we've had a few things from the grandkids during this crazy period and it's such a lovely surprise when they arrive. Enjoy your weekend.

Karen said...

It sounds like a wonderful, full week. So nice to gather with people again. I'm sure your mom was delighted with her birthday party, maybe even more so than going out. And your church group gathering, too. It's so intimate to share the outdoors with people, one of the reasons that our family camping trips remain among my best memories.

Have a great weekend, Susanne.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne! Happy Birthday to your mom! That is so neat that you and your family were able to make such a great birthday celebration for her. Glad you were able to get together with family and then with your small group from church. Those simple connections are so important now and always. I always like joining with you and focusing on the good. Thanks for hosting this space for so long. It is a blessing to many. Virtual hugs from UT.

Susan said...

Snail mail is always so wonderful. God bless you I hope you have a wonderful week.

Barbara Harper said...

Belated happy birthday to your mom! So glad you got to be together for it. The picnic and horseshoes sounds fun. How fun to get snail mail! I don't eat ice cream all that often, even though they do make some nice dairy free or lactose free options (I am lactose intolerant). But I am thankful for those options--sometimes they really hit the spot! And that's true, sometimes the bigger containers get freezer burn before we can finish them.

ellen b. said...

How nice that you could gather together to celebrate your mom's birthday. You had some nice face to face gatherings that are such an encouragement. We don't have that Haagen Daz flavor here in the U.S. but Dear enjoys some of the new trios. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Willow said...

Oh Happy Birthday to your mom! What a milestone! And you were able to be with her. That is a true blessing.
My Bible Study small group has been meeting in a large backyard for a few weeks. It's wonderful to actually be face to face with people, isn't it?
I hope you are able to enjoy many more sunny days outside!
Have a good weekend!

nikkipolani said...

What a great idea to celebrate outside for your mom's 88th! Simple menu but good fun.

I can't imagine the amount of sanitizing you're having to do on a daily basis. Kudos for your persistence and endurance. My mom met with some of her friends too, but it was a bittersweet visit as two of her dearest are moving out of state to be nearer children.

Gattina said...

That's nice that you could get together to celebrate your mum's birthday, that was a big drama here because nobody was allowed to go into a retirement home or visit old people ! Now it's over fortunately because it was very hard for the old people to be so isolated although they could contact their families with a tablet or computer ! I am still busy emptying the house ! In 45 years you collect a lot of rubbish !