Sunday, May 31, 2020

Murder at the Courthouse by A.H. Gabhart

When Michael Keane took on the job of deputy sheriff in small town Hidden Springs, Kentucky he thought he had left the stress of big city policing behind.  He was looking forward the much more slow paced life of getting to know everyone in his hometown again and having small time tickets be his biggest policing.  But when a stranger to town is found shot on the courthouse steps, Michael is confronted once again with big crime.  As he tries to solve the case which has put the whole town on edge, he must deal with all sorts of townsfolk who think they know the answer.  When the sheriff is laid up in hospital, he comes up with his own crazy theory and insists Michael look into it.  Against his better judgement Michael complies and what he discovers will make him wonder if he ever really knew his hometown at all.

I love Ann H. Gabhart's historical fiction, so when I saw she'd written a cozy mystery series, I thought I'd give it a try for some lighter reading time.  Her characters were simple yet complex, quirky yet infuriating at times, the kind you expect to find in a small town cozy mystery.    Michael himself is trying to sort out his life and things that have happened so there is some good back story.  Though I didn't guess the what, where, when and why,  and was there for that ride, I did unfortunately guess the who fairly early on.  An easy summer type of read that you can escape with.  There are 2 more in the "Hidden Springs Mystery" series, so I'm sure Michael will be developed even more along with some of the other characters in this town.

I rated it an 7.5/10.



1 comment:

Faith said...

I might look for this series once the library reopens!