Friday, September 14, 2018

Friday's Fave Five #499


Welcome everyone!  This has been one long week.  On Monday I somehow twisted something in my knee and it's really messed with my week.  I've missed the gym all week and have to wear my big ol' ugly knee brace.  But there are still good things to look for in spite of that little dilemma and these are my favorite blessings from the week.  Please join us!

~a later start to the morning~ last Friday non of the dayhome kidlets showed up until at least a half hour later than they normally do.  It was such a nice, slow start to the morning for me.  An extra cup of coffee in peace without interruption is gold, I tell ya!  I didn't feel rushed so it set such a nice relaxed tone for the day.

~ladies study starting again~ This week, after a 2 month summer break, our small group started up again.  Our first night was a fun night.  We went to see a show and it was so nice to catch up with everyone.  Looking forward to the coming year with my group of ladies.

~lunch out with friends~  This is always a blessing to me.  I don't have to cook or clean up and we get to spend some time with some great people.

~wasps gone~ Those nasty critters built a nest between the rock and the railway tie in my front flower bed.  We bought one of these traps to see if it would work.  In less than 20 minutes that thing was ready to be changed out.  I've never seen anything like it.  They were just swarming it.  Kinda makes my stomach turn to think about it but it did the job.  We ran and got two more and used one a day for 3 days and caught so many wasps.  We sprayed the entrance to the nest a couple times with a foam spray and, fingers crossed, it seems to have done the trick.

~cleaning routines~ I have really tried to get a routine going when it comes to keeping the kitchen cleaner.  It really is the busiest room of the house and gets lots of wear and tear each day.  I think I've finally fallen upon a routine I can live with that isn't burdensome but helps to keep everything neat and clean. 

What have been your favorite blessings this week?



9 comments:

susan said...

Susanne, THAT is a lot of wasps. Hurray that your DIY worked.
I love small groups. It is a great way to learn, have fun, find encouragement and use our spiritual gifts. Going out for fun the first night is a nice way to start back up. My group starts back on the 26th. We will make some cards and talk about our book (The Art of Neighboring).
Praying that your knee is just about healed!
Have a blessed week.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I always finalize my cleaning routines and my daily routines for morning and evening at this time of year. I like to have a schedule to follow. When I get busy it's easier to not have to think too much about what needs to be done but just follow a routine instead. An extra half hour for sipping coffee slow sounds like heaven to me!

Faith said...

Yay for cleaning routines! One plus to having a non eat-in kitchen, is that it forces me to keep the counters cleaned and the dining room table uncluttered. I do it nightly. I cant stand clutter!! Glad you found a routine that works.

My group starts up again on Sept 26 and i can't wait!! I have 4 new women who signed up plus 4 who are returning!! What show did you see?? Movie? Musical? Play? I haven't been to any in a while unless you count the Ballet shows!!

Praise God for extra coffee time in the morning....a true blessing for daycare home providers!!

Praying for that knee of yours!!

Happy weekend

Barbara H. said...

I am sorry about your knee! Hope it heals well and soon. What a treat to have an extra half hour of quiet in the morning. Hope your ladies' study is a blessing! I love lunch out, too - such a fun time to visit with friends without any extra work for either of us. Yikes about the wasps! I am glad you found an effective way to deal with them and hope they are gone from that area for good.

When I was sick for an extended period and my dear husband was taking care of the kitchen, after doing the dinner dishes he would do one extra kitchen job every evening - cleaning out the microwave one night, the stovetop another night, the appliances another night,, etc, I always thought that was such a good system, though I confess I tend to clean on more of an as-needed basis. :-) Glad you found a routine that works for you.

Melanie said...

Thank you for hosting this. I've linked here and it was a struggle to post today. My heart is heavy for those in NC right now and it made me realize my blessings even more with that. I enjoyed your post. Having lunch with friends is very special. I got to do that this past week as well. Have a blessed day.

ellen b. said...

Sorry about your knee. We'll have to get familiar with all the wasp/yellow jacket exterminators soon. Oye. Glad your methods worked to get rid of the ones plaguing you.
I feel like a broken record but...I wanted to tell my blogging friends that I could be very scarce in my visits as we move and try to navigate satellite internet that could be very sketchy. I'm hoping for the best and that I can keep blogging without too many issues.
Have a great weekend, Susanne!

Wendy said...

Well I know how painful knee injuries can be so I hope yours heals quickly. A late start makes a nice change. I'm glad you got the wasp nest sorted, Lunch with friends is always good and I love a good routine but I'm not that great at sticking to them. Have a good weekend.

Willow said...

I have noticed that NEXT WEEK will be your 500th FFF! Are you going to celebrate some way?
Oh dear! I hope your knee improves quickly. When you're used to being active, it's hard to sit around and wait for an injury to heal.
My Bible Study group started back up today! It's such a blessing to be back together again, isn't it?

Dianna said...

I'm sure sorry to hear about your knee problem. I understand not liking to have to wear the knee brace because I have a need to wear one of those now and then. Hope you are doing better.

I like those later start to the mornings. We've had a few of those around here this week. We tend to think in our minds that we are still MUCH younger than we really are so when we work on a day with that mindset, the next day definitely requires a slow start. :)

I am so glad that your wasps are gone. Thank you for the link to the traps that you used. We had a problem with yellow jackets recently but hubby thinks he's got it taken care of for now. I will definitely take note of the name of these traps for future reference.