Friday, August 31, 2018

Friday's Fave Five #497


Welcome to Friday's Fave Five!  The last one in August.  How crazy is that.  the summer is almost done.  I know fall doesn't officially start until September 21st but for me the first day of September means fall and that means this weekend.  Yikes.  It's good to have a place to intentionally slow down and take note of the good blessings that have come our way.  Please join us.


In no particular order:

~gift of a book~ a lady from my bible study group and I had a coffee together last week.  It was so nice to get together and catch up as our study takes a break during the summer.  We talked about so many things including some great books.  We talked of one in particular we were both looking forward to reading.  The next day I went out front and when I turned to come back in, there hanging on the door handle was a Chapters Indigo bag and inside was the book.  What a sweet blessing that was.  I can't wait to get into it and talk it over with her!




~days with no smoke~ It has been soooo smokey this summer and last week was especially bad with all the fires in British Columbia blowing over our way.  Last Monday cool weather moved in and it rained all day.  It not only got rid of the smoke but a big bonus was that it help with the fire burning very close to our beloved Waterton National Park which was already devasted by fire last year.  It allowed them to lift the evacuation alert for the town of Waterton which was a deep breath of relief.  The rest of the week we've had lovely weather and next to no smoke hanging in the air.

~tomato harvest~  My friend's mom again gave me about 6 or 7 various tomato plants this spring and for a while this summer we wondered if they would do well.  Then bam, all of a sudden they just kicked into gear and now we are reaping the delicious harvest.  We have had them all sorts of ways:  in wedges with just a touch of sea salt, in sandwiches and burgers,  cut in half and sprinkled with a good dose of Parmesan cheese and then broiled, fried up with zucchini, onions and garlic.  So delicious!

~new to us business car~  Unfortunately our van that we had that Hubby was using for his business vehicle in the winter time finally was done in.  So on was the search for an appropriate vehicle for him.  Praise God we found one, a 2010 Dodge Journey that we think will be just perfect for what he needs without putting a super hardship onto us financially.

~fun movie afternoon with hubby~  Sunday we took a real relax day and after church we had wonderful lunch of bbq'd steaks, Caesar spiced potatoes, and corn on the cob.  Such a typical great summer meal.  Then we saw that The Greatest Showman was only $1 this weekend on Telus TV so we had a lovely movie afternoon just the two of us.  Both of us really liked the movie.  A thousand times better that last year's LaLaLand that won all the awards and almost put all of us to sleep.

What were your favorite blessings last week?


















7 comments:

susan said...

Two of my faves are similar to your's this week:homegrown tomatoes and books. Food for the body and food for the soul - What could be better?

So glad the air quality is better for you guys. Getting rain surely was an answer to prayer in multiple ways. The air quality in my area is better but still affects those with asthma. So far no rain in California. :( But our temps have been considerably cooler. :)

I enjoyed The Greatest Showman. I didn't know it was a musical when I went to see it. That was a happy piece of news since I LIKE musicals and they did a good job. How fun that it only cost you guys $1.00 and bonus points that you got to watch it from home.

Great shopping. Hurray that you found a gently used vehicle that didn't break your budget.

Have a great week.

Faith said...

Oh I've been wanting to see that movie! I'm waiting for itmto get to Netflix ...i rarely watch tv but I've watched a couple of Netflix movies this summer while doing chores.

Yay for fresh tomatoes!! I love them on sandwiches or just plain!

How nice that your friend surprised you with the Max Lucado book. Is that what your small group is doing?

Praise God those fires are going out and your beloved park is ok!! What a summer for fires!!

Happy weekend!!

Dianna said...

The book sounds so good, Susanne. I am putting it on my wishlist!

I've been reading on several blogs this week about the lessening of smoke from the fires. I'm glad you also experienced that.

Tomatoes! I have one more turn of spaghetti sauce to make and can and then, aside from eating them, I am finished with tomatoes for the season. Ours seems to have slowed down with the ripening for some reason.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Barbara H. said...

What a sweet visit with your friend, and a thoughtful gift. I cannot imagine the smoke issues you have been facing - so glad there's been a respite. Yay for the tomato harvest! We're not fond of searching for a car, but thankfully God guides and provides. Neat that you found one that was just right and affordable. I've been wanting to see The Greatest Showman but I wasn't sure if hubby would be interested - I'll have to ask him. I've heard one song from it ("This Is Me") on just about every competition show we watch. I haven't seen LaLaLand, either, but have wanted to.

Melanie said...

I haven't seen the "Greatest Showman" yet but my church does a month of sermon series called "At the Movies" and they did "The Greatest Showman" this last Sunday. Your after church meal sounds wonderful! Thank you for creating this wonderful way of reviewing our blessings for the week!

Wendy said...

Some great faves there. Date time is a good thing to make time for. Enjoy your weekend.

ellen b. said...

So good to see the smoke go away. We're traveling east again so we're anxious to see how the rest of the state is doing. Glad you had good things come your way this past week.