Friday, August 24, 2018

Friday's Fave Five #496


Welcome again to Fridays Fave Five.  In this regular weekly exercise we are trying to develop the habit of intentionally looking for blessings in our past week and developing grateful attitudes.  We try to do it on the good weeks, the bad weeks, the exciting weeks and the plain old everyday type of week that on the surface doesn't seem to hold anything special.  Please join us.  If you are new just click on the link in the sidebar and read the guidelines and then jump right in.

In no particular order here are mine:

~beautiful red suns~ we have been having a whole lot of smoke blowing over from our neighboring province of British Columbia where there are close to 600 active forest fires burning.  Our days can change within the hour from blue skies to hazy to thick smoke taking our air quality from a really good 2 or 3 to a high risk 8, 9 or 10.  Hate the smoke but if I have to look for a good thing within it there are some absolutely beautiful red suns that show up.  This was a gorgeous one and I had to chase down the road a good mile and some to get a clear shot of it and I only had my cell phone so it doesn't really do it justice but you get the idea.


~corn and a pot~ my next two are related so they are listed together.  It is officially into Taber corn season here.  There is no corn like Taber corn.  So delicious.  Farmers sell them throughout the city in small stands and everyone here looks forward to those hot days of August when you can buy them from fresh daily harvested fields.  So far we've had Peaches and Cream corn that was amazing and now they are into Vision which is a real sweat corn too.  Yum.  I can't get enough.

Which brings me to the part two of this.  My new pot I snagged on clearance at Marshalls.  I've wanted to get a stock pot for such a long time but have never bit the bullet on them because I didn't know where I would keep such a tall pot.  One day a couple months ago I was wandering around in Marshalls and lo and behold here was this Italian pot that was huge but not tall.  So I grabbed it thinking I could always return it if I found it wasn't what I wanted.  But boy, did I score with this thing.  I can easily fit about 10 -12 ears of corn into this thing.  The day I took this picture I only had six in there with the water only filled to half full.  And it will be perfect too to make those wonderful soups and stocks that I like to do and never find my current biggest pot not big enough.  



~King Tut Grass~ I have been trying for years to find something that would grow tall enough in this planter and be big enough to look balanced against the bow window.   This year I saw this plant at a local green house store and nabbed it.  So glad I did.  It's exactly what I was looking for.  Next year I'll be sure to buy another as they are not hardy enough to survive our winter, but it's so worth it to buy it again.  I'll fill it in with some nice bright draping kind of flowers or plant to hang down at the base.



~pinterest loving parents~ love when parents send cute snacks like this to dayhome for a treat or for their kid's birthdays.  How cute is this?  It's a pudding cup with graham crumbs for "sand", a piece of fruit rollup for a "towel", a graham teddy sitting in a gummy "floaty tube" under a party drink "umbrella".  Who thinks of these things?


Well these were 5 blessings from my week.  Nothing huge or spectacular but blessings nonetheless.  What were you favorites from the week?







8 comments:

susan said...

I love scrolling through Pinterest. I am not one to come up with original ideas. But I sure like to copy what's out there. The snack idea is cute. I bet your kiddos were thrilled to get these.

The King Tut plant is the perfect plant for that space. So glad you figured out what you want there.

I didn't realize there are so many types of sweet corn How wonderful that you get to try them. And what a great pot you have. It is so nice when you find just what you need.

The west coast of this continent is sure on FIRE. How tragic. This past week the air has been cleaner. Cool that you found the blessing in all the fires. The red sun is beautiful.

Have a refreshing week, Suzanne

Dianna said...

I enjoyed reading about your favorites from this week! That little treat that you've shared is just so so cute...and I know what you mean, who thinks of these things? The sunset was beautiful, but I feel so badly for those people who are in the direct area of the fires. I've not heard of King Tut grass before, but it looks beautiful in your planter! And great score on your pot! We've been enjoying corn from our garden for a while now and hubby has been fixing it on the grill which draws out that sweetness even more. So glad you are able to enjoy corn now!

Barbara H. said...

We love corn on the cob and just had some last weekend. It's great to have a good pot for it. That beachy snack is so cute! I didn't know the name of that King Tut plant - it looks nice! What a neat picture of the sun.

Jen said...

I've been out of the blog world for awhile. Glad to see you are still doing Friday's Fave 5!

ellen b. said...

And now I'm craving some good Chilliwack corn which is probably in competition with your Taber Corn! Have a good weekend, Susanne.

Gattina said...

The sun indeed is beautiful ! Since I am back it became cold ! Not used to this weather anymore ! I am a bit upside down from this long trip and all these wonderful countries I have seen !

Faith said...

Sorry i had to miss FFF this past week due to college gal returning to NH and taking a mini vacation afterwards. I'll be back august 31 since the rest of my vacation from teaching is a staycation!

Love the plant outside your bow window!

And that Pinterest activity is going on my next summer for our beach unit list. I love Pinterest and wish it had been a thing back when i was teaching full time and in charge of my own classroom. Now that I'm assistant teacher again in Sept i don't have to do all the planning but I'm getting this into the book!!

Hope those fires are under control soon!!

Yay for fresh corn!!

Willow said...

Who thinks up those creative things? People who have wayyy too much time on their hands! :)
Yummy for the fresh corn! We've been enjoying Ohio corn this week.