Friday, July 13, 2018

Friday's Fave Five #490



Good morning, everyone!  Sorry this post didn't get up on time.  I was in the mountains on a road trip with friends and I just totally forgot what day it was.  But late or not, it's still a good time to look back over our week to find some blessings to be grateful for, right?  So here we go.  Please join in.

~friends~ I am very grateful to have some good friends in my life.   Not only friends to do fun things, but friends who share the hard, nitty gritty of life.  Having a being a friend like that takes work, time and investment and I am very grateful for the few I have like that.

~ good books ~ I am grateful for books to begin with because we are so privileged in the country to have such unlimited access to reading material but also for those authors who take hard subjects and build stories around them that capture my heart and make me think and reflect where my own heart is.  I read such a one this week and haven't been able to pick up another for a couple days as the story keeps coming back to mind.



~ access to medicines ~ in having to help my Dad and deal with his on going medical issues, and fighting something myself this week, it has made me thankful that we have such availability to different medicines, both prescribed and herbal non-prescribed variety.  What do people do in countries where there is no medicines available or doctors to prescribe or change them up as needed?  And though we oftentimes grumble about our Albertan healthcare system, in reality when we compare it to some other countries we are very blessed indeed.


~ road trips ~ yesterday we went with some good friends and took one of my favorite day trips to the Going on the Sun road and across Logan's Pass in Glacier National Park.  It is absolutely breath taking and I highly recommend it if you are able.  The many, many vista pull offs and views and the walking and hiking trails can keep one busy for days.  We find something new everytime we go.  One must bring along nerves of steel though as the drive on the narrow roads right along the side of the mountains is not for the faint of heart.  Especially when you are on the side of road that drops off with nothing but a foot and half stone wall keeping you from the edge of the cliff.  But oh so worth it.




In the picture above you can see the line of the road above my shoulder leading into a little black hole which is a tunnel and in the other picture it is the horizontal line etched across the green covered mountain to the right.  


~ cameras ~ and of course I am most grateful for cameras to capture special days and moments, especially cameras that you can fit into a pocket.  I only took my phone for these pictures because I don't want to lug my big camera around when I'm with other people.  And yet I still got wonderful shots to remember the day.

What are you thankful for from the last week?








12 comments:

Barbara H. said...

What a lovely trip! Glad you had such a nice get-away. I can amen your mention of books, friends, medicines, and cameras. We're fortunate to live in the era we're in to have such accessibility to medicines and cameras. And though books have been available for ages, I think we probably have access to more, at lower prices, relatively, than ever before.

Karen said...

The photos of your trip are beautiful! And you look great, Susanne. There are so many things we take for granted, aren't there? Books, medicine, like you mentioned. That's why I love doing this exercise each week, it really makes me think.

Have a good weekend.

Faith said...

Yay for mountains and books and good friends!!

And whatever was bothering you I hope is completely gone so you can enjoy the weekend!

Love those Mt pics!!!

Ann said...

Going to the Sun road is breathtaking. I was there in 1997 and still count it among the best things I have ever been able to do. We loved both Glacier and Waterton - great, great memories.
I won't have a FFF today - may be able to get one up tomorrow if that's not too late. --Ann

Willow said...

I love traveling in all places in the world, but I'm not a fan of those narrow roads with precipices. If you ever visit Grand Canyon, you'll understand that at one point I got out of the car and WALKED along the road.
Your photos of those mountains are wonderful!
And yes, so are those few special friends a wonderful blessing!

Susanne said...

Ann: anytime is fine!

Susanne said...

This is a test comment because once again the comments are not coming through my email.

Meditations in Motion said...

Beautiful pictures of your road trip! I also love the concept of thinking about things you are grateful for each week. So glad I found your blog!

Susanne said...

Thank you so much! Welcome to Friday's Fave Five Moving Meditation. Join in anytime!

Anonymous said...

Sounds that you had a wonderful trip. Wonderful photos of your trip.
Nice to have some basic medicine all time where ever we go...

Susanne said...

Test

nikkipolani said...

Mmmm such lovely shots of your road trip! No wonder you forgot which day it was ;-) Like you, I skipped my big camera, too, partly because I was packing very light for the last trip. But it's amazing how well the little phone cameras do, isn't it? And such a blessing to have friends and family to enjoy the beauty of God's creation.