Welcome to Friday's Fave Fives. It's mid August already. My vacation time is done, the nights are already turning cooler and we are gearing up for the start of school in a couple of weeks. But there is always time to pause and look for the blessings over the past week and share 5 of them. Please join in with us.
1. Medieval Fair Fun. Saturday we joined my sis and brother in law and took my son and his friend to the Medieval Fair. Neither had been to anything like this and it was kinda fun to watch them experience it. Knights in shining armor, jousting tournaments, midieval villages, working blacksmith shop and other spectacles to watch and enjoy.
2. Bountiful tomatoes. At the beginning of summer we were given a half dozen or so tomato plants. Seeing I don't have a garden and I haven't had a whole lot of luck growing tomatoes on the deck in a planter, my Mom said I could put them in her garden. When I went to check on them the other day I was stunned to see all the tomatoes. My mom says she has never seen the likes of the size and bounty on the stems since she's had gardens in Canada. And that's something 'cause she's been here since 1956! They are so heavy with tomatoes she's having a heck of a time. keeping them from breaking. It must be the crazy heat we've had this summer. At any rate, I see some toasted tomato sandwiches, broiled parmesan tomatoes and homemade spaghetti sauce in my future.
3. Cooler evenings. Southern Alberta has moved into cooler evenings and after the heat waves of June and July it really is a welcome relief. We are back to a bit more of the kind of weather that is normal for this year around here which still means some hot days but the nights are nice and cool. Open windows overnight letting in cool air is so much nicer than ac in my humble opinion.
4. Vaseline. A simple little thing like Vaseline makes my FFF list because it worked. I think I sunburned my lips. They were so dry they hurt. And the lip balms I usually use just weren't helping. Then I remembered a girl I used to know who swore by vaseline for her lips and used nothing else. I thought what have I got to lose? Within two days the extreme dryness and soreness were gone. I think I'll be exchanging my lip balms for a tube of vaseline.
5. This quote by Max Lucado that came through my facebook feed. It really speaks to me especially in context with FFF and why I've continued it for so long. Developing an attitude of gratitude and looking for the good things in my life intentionally and consistently really keeps my perspective in the right place.
"Gratitude gets us through the hard stuff. To reflect on your blessings is to rehearse God’s accomplishments. To rehearse God’s accomplishments is to discover his heart. To discover his heart is to discover not just good gifts but the Good Giver. Gratitude always leaves us looking at God and away from dread. It does to anxiety what the morning sun does to valley mist. It burns it up."