Today is Remembrance Day here in Canada so we pause to take a moment to reflect and remember all those who have served and given their lives in the fight for freedom. We also remember those veterans who are still alive and say "Thank You" for your service.
In that light, it is especially meaningful to look for my blessings and make my thankful list this week.
1. Democracy. In watching what unfolded in the U.S. this week, and in spite of it being an ugly battle to the presidency, I am thankful for democracy. Even the very fact that we can publicly speak against whoever we don't agree with is something we should never take for granted. Others are being killed or imprisoned for their voices in countries where harsh dictatorship prevails. I hope my U.S. friends can now move forward and work together instead of continuing to tear down. Cause people, I'm tired of politics dominating my facebook feed! Bring back the cute puppies! ;)
2. Bike riding wearing capri pants and a tshirt. Is it really November? We have been enjoying every warm moment we can eek out of this fall. There have been some really gorgeous days this week. Around here in fall to get that warm weather we usually put up with a lot of wind and chinook arches that block the sun in the fall but there have been some wonderful days such as last weekend where it was warm (21*C!!! 69.8*F unbelieveable), sunny and no wind! So take advantage of that we did and pulled the bikes out of storage and went for a glorious bike ride! Now today is supposed to be 22*, so if there is no wind off on bikes we will go again! Now before there is a bunch of climate change comments, never fear, the farmer's almanac apparently is predicting an especially cold winter for us, so it's coming. But until then, outdoors fun here I come!
3. Spontaneous chinese food dinner invite at good friends. We have a set of dear friends who are career minded folks and are very busy. But Saturday they spontaneously invited us for dinner for chinese takeout. So we jumped on the chance for great company and very delicious food. I love doing spontaneous things with friends. Keeps one young. Ha. We had a lovely visit and they ordered enough food to feed an army, not even kidding, and it was some of the best chinese takeout we've ever had.
4. Extra sleep time. Hence the late FFF. Last weekend was Daylight Savings time where we turned our clocks back one hour. Now at first glance, that sounds wonderful, an extra hour to sleep on that night. Yay! Except it didn't go that way. After enjoying way too much of the good food mentioned above I was wide awake at 2:30 a.m. And had to be up early for church so I couldn't sleep in. Then I have been waking at 5 a.m. every morning because my body thinks it's 6 am and time to get up. It has been brutal! I am exhausted so sleeping in this morning was especially nice. Hopefully now my body is in rhythm with the darn clock.
5. Learning to let go. I am learning this in lots of different areas of my life, from the big to the small. It has been easier in some areas than in others but all in all I'd say that releasing my tight grip on certain things has definitely been for the better. Of course, in letting go I am also learning to lay it at God's feet and in that process learning that God cares about every aspect of my life. And in leaving it with God I am learning to experience joy and peace even in the midst of hard situations whereas before I would have been running around in a tizzy like a chicken with it's head cut off, as my mom used to put it. :)
What have been your favorite blessings this week?