Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Summer To Read List




Couldn't have said it better myself!  I love the bookstore!!  The shelf upon shelf of books makes me giddy.  The intoxicating smell of books and the thought of being the first person to crack open the cover makes my day.  My, I can spend hours in there.  The library too if I'm being totally honest.  

 In fact, the bookstore is where I have found myself a lot lately thanks to a gift certificate at Christmas from my hubby and again at Mother's Day from my son.  Summer reading here I come!!  But so many choices, how to decide?  My son's gift card was easy, he specifically wanted me to get Francine River's new novel, "Bridge to Haven" because he knows it's one of my favorite authors, which I am now reading (see sidebar).    But what else?  What should I consider a "summer read"?

 So between my gift cards and the library's book sale and much deliberation this is what I came away with:




Fireworks Over Toccoa by Jeffrey Stepakoff.  Read his other novel a few years back and really liked it so when I saw this one I nabbed it.  


Sweet By and By by Sara Evans and Rachel Hauck.  Read the 2nd and 3rd of the series for book reviews, loved them and finally bit the bullet and bought the first because I wanted the whole set.


Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson.  Have wanted to read this book for a few years but never got around to it.


Traces of Mercy by Michael Landon Jr. & Cindy Kelley.  Absolutely loved The Silent Gift by this author so I'm hoping this will be just as good.


True Colors by Kristin Hannah.  New to me author, seems to be on the library's popular shelves alot, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Hope it's  worth it.



Porch Lights by Dorothea Benton Frank.  Sounded interesting.  Another new to me author, hope it's gonna be good.


Well those look like summery kind of books, don't you think?  What makes you decide what might be a good summer read?





3 comments:

Faith said...

I read True COlors and Porch Lights (I LOVED THAT ONE!!!) and enjoyed both. I THINK i also read Quaker Summer and loved it. Im currently reading The Husband's Secret...VERY good book.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love your quote about book stores. Thanks for these summer reading ideas. I buy most of my books at used bookstores, the library used book sale or thrift stores. Summer reads usually come right off my "to read" shelf and I read whatever I am feeling like at the moment. You have given me some good ideas of books to look for in this post. By the way, is the author Michael Landon Jr. the son of THE Michael Landon the actor? Have a good Thursday!

Barbara H. said...

Love that quote at the top! Yes, these do look like nice summery reads. I've been reading more non-fiction than usual this year and I am looking forward to relaxing with some fiction here soon.