Friday, July 12, 2013

Friday's Fave Five #241




Welcome to Friday's Fave Five everyone!  Are you ready to look back over your week and find your favorite blessings?  If you need to you can go here for details.

1.  Details coming together.  On the weekend we traveled to the city that Youngest Daughter will be go to for bible school in the fall.  We visited with the family she will be living with.  It was good to get one more detail taken care of.

2.  Delicious burgers.  On the way to the visit above we stopped in the big city and tried out one of the restaurants featured on the Food Network show "You Gotta Eat Here" . (It's at the 16:37 mark of the video in the link).   The show is like the Canadian version of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.  I love the Canadian show and everytime they feature a place from the big city I've put it into my phone.  This time we tried a burger place, Boogie's Burgers, since Hubby was in the mood for a burger.  When we first pulled up to it I wondered at our choice as it wasn't in the best location ever and looked a little old.  We were a few minutes early but as we waited more people started to pull up and wait.  From the moment they opened the whole time we were there it was a steady stream of people.  The burgers were the biggest patties I've ever seen and they were delicious.  No, not one of us had the gumption or the guts to try the "Don't Fear the Reaper Burger" from the video but thanks for asking. Youngest Daughter got adventurous and tried the Bacon Maple Milk Shake.  We thought she went off the deep end but it was really, really good! And I have to say I have never been in a fast food joint before that has come twice to our table to ask how everything was. So we are two for two in trying something different thanks to the show.

3.  New Recipes that turn into family favorites.  I tried Gordon Ramsey's Pork chops with Sweet and Sour Peppers and it was the best pork chops I have ever made!  Definitely a keeper.  Recipe is here.



4.  My new electric fry pan.  My old one, after giving many years of use, started to not get hot enough.  Instead of frying it was basically simmering.  But I was panicking.  I couldn't find one that I really liked.  Up until last week.  That was when I came across the Oster Removable Skillet Electric Fry Pan.
Love it.  The pan lifts off the heating element for easy serving and cleaning and can even be put in the oven.  It fits in my cupboard, which was a huge deal as I don't have an official pantry to store this stuff.  I used it to make those delicious pork chops above and it worked really well.  I love when I find exactly what I want and need and bonus:  it was 40% off!  That is always a favorite thing!

5.   Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp.  Any crisp.  But this time it was strawberry rhubarb.  Hot.  With French Vanilla ice cream melting over top, please!




What have been your favorites this week?






17 comments:

Willow said...

I'm back! A three week trip makes for a lot of faves.
Yum for the rhubarb crisp!

nikkipolani said...

It's so good when a recommendation works well -- those burgers sound terrific. And that shake!! As I made pork chops last night, I thought about your recipe. Will have to try it when I get some peppers.

Hazel said...

Quite a good bargain the electric frying pan is. Your burger place experience sounds fabulous! I wonder if I could muster guts to try the "Don't Fear the Reaper"... maybe with a buddy :)

Hazel

Faith said...

I'm trying that pork chop recipe next week as our local farmers market has some great looking peppers that I bought! WOW...that burger menu is something else!! i saw several I would love to try....and your daughter is brave to try that shake...don't think i'd like that! I need a good electric skillet....I'm gonna see if I could find that around here. YAY for the details being worked out for your girl. Enjoy the weekend!!

Susanne said...

Haha. I just realized that my faves were 80% about food. Must have been hungry last night when I wrote the post. LOL.

Barbara H. said...

Sounds like a great food week! It's neat that the frying pan fit perfectly in the space you had and was 40% off as well.

It's good you were able to go with your daughter and see things come together for her next semester.

Katrina @ Mama Manuscripts said...

I'm going to try the Gordon Ramsey recipe for supper. I should be getting Rhubarb later today so I hope that I'll be able to make a crisp or pie with it. Yummy! I love good food! I hope you have a great week.

Heather said...

So glad you had a good visit to the college your daughter will be going too.

My husband loves burgers. There is one here called Five Guys Burgers and it's really good.

I love pork chops! That is a nice fryer. I just use a pan when I do fry something.

And I love anything crisp like that! oooh!

Gattina said...

Your post makes me hungry and it's just supper time, lol !

ellen b. said...

Oh how I love food and your favorites are making my mouth water...

Jerralea said...

I'm a big fan of using electric skillets. I'm now on my fourth one and it will probably need to be replaced in a few months. Yours looks like one I would really like.

Any kind of crisp is good with me!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Those pork chops look and sound great -- I'm gonna try them! Thanks for sharing. Glad you're getting details of younger daughter's journey worked out. That always helps.

Have a great week ahead, Susanne!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I'll definitely have to try those pork chops!
It is so much fun to try new restaurants!

Snowbird said...

Goodness me....some delicious looking foods here....Hahahahahaha....loved the "Don't Fear the Reaper Burger"

I'm glad you got to meet the people daughter will be staying with, that's one less worry.xxxx

SONDRA PRICE said...

I am starving after reading this post! Ha.

I'm fairly certain that I could survive using only an electric skillet.

Glad you got to meet the family your daughter will be staying with. I'm sure it eases any worry you had about the situation.

susan said...

Bacon maple milkshake? Oh my, bacon is really going into all kinds of recipes now. Glad your daughter's adventurous streak paid off.

Reading your FFF is making me hungry. Think I'll go eat breakfast and comment on the other posts later. ;)

Have a great weekend.

Brenda said...

When ever I have maple, I think of Canada. I bet that maple-bacon shake was pretty amazing. My son would love to try that :)