Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday's Fave Five #212


 

Hi everyone.  We had internet issues all day yesterday so my FFF post didn't make it up on time. But I was able to sneak in and at least get the Linky up so go ahead and start without me and I'll get my post done as soon as the day allows.  Whew, I'm finally able to access the internet without it going out.  Thanks for being patient and getting the party started without me!  So here we go:

1.  Hard working hubby who literally was on the phone all day with our service provider to figure out what was going on and then fixing it as they walked him through the various procedures.  I don't what I'd do without his willingness to do stuff like that.  I'd be paying out a whole lot more in "geek" fees, that's for sure.  He was still working a few kinks out with the networking this morning but I think it's finally working 100% again.

2.  Family Gatherings.  Last weekend was Thanksgiving in Canada so that meant our family was able to be all together for the weekend.  K took a break from school and work to come down for the weekend and we spent a wonderful relaxed time together.  She unfortunately had mid-terms this week so had to take some time out to study but we were still able to spend time with her.  And my other two are still at home, but who knows for how long so I appreciate every moment we have a chance to celebrate holidays and weekends all together.  Sunday I served the Thanksgiving dinner so my sis and her family, my mom, and Hubby's sis and husband joined us.  Wonderful day together.  We all missed the presence of Hubby's mom who passed away last year.  She was always such a firecracker but she was there in our thoughts and conversation.

3.  Thanksgiving food.   I love the traditional thanksgiving meal.  I always do the traditional turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy.  In addition, our meal tradition always includes cranberry sauce and spaghetti squash.  We had a few other veggie options and of course, pumpkin pie for dessert.  This year we also threw in a birthday cake as K's guest was celebrating a birthday this week.  

After this wonderful meal on the Sunday we head to my Sister's on Monday to have a meal with my dad and his wife.  He is allergic to turkey so ham is sometimes on the menu for this meal but this year my sister went totally nontraditional and  made her lasagna.  She makes the best lasagna in the world!  I was pretty excited to smell that when I walked in her door!  Needless to say, one of the reasons it's so good is because it definitely not a diet lasagna!  I'll be spending extra time at the gym this week.

4.  The winter duvet hit the bed this week.  I love the big, fluffy quilt.  It's so comfortable, and while I'm sad to see summer go, I do love fall and one of the reasons is this comfy blanket is back on the bed.  And I love the ease that goes with having a duvet and cover when making the bed.  No more wrangling with separate sheets and blankets.  One big flick and laying it straight is all it takes to make the bed.

5.  Starfield concert.  I was only able to catch the second half of the concert due to other commitments but boy, oh boy, it's so good.  These guys just get better all the time.  The first time I saw them was about 10 years ago when they were the back up to someone else and they've just grown.   Their concerts are a mix of hard driving concert and worship night.  What I really appreciate is their connection with the kids.  They come out after and stay until every kid that wants to has had a poster or t-shirt signed, picture taken or just met them and said hello.  They make everyone of them feel important.  Nothing egotistical or prideful in these two brothers comes across.  They truly make the kids feel good.  (If you so desire you can click on the link and listen to some of their songs there).



So again, thanks for being patient with my internet woes this week.  I hope everyone has a great weekend with big and small blessings abounding! 





13 comments:

nikkipolani said...

Oh dear. Hope everything gets straightened without too much fuss.

Gattina said...

This can happen from time to time but it's very annoying ! I'll come back later.

ellen b. said...

Love your new fall badge, Susanne. Well now I can say why I'm not participating in memes right now. After the cookbook deadlines are behind me I'll rejoin some of my weekly favorites! Blessings...

Barbara H. said...

Hope it's all working for you soon.

Sandra said...

Hope it's working well for you soon, computers can be so frustrating at times.

Brenda said...

It suddenly turned cold here yesterday and I pulled out the winter blankets as well.

Aren't we all grateful for helpful husbands? What would we do without them!

Annette Whipple said...

I have an extra quilt-doubled-on my side of the bed. My husband won't let me add the electric blanket yet, but soon! Tonight is our first frost.

Jerralea said...

My hubby has saved me some "geek fees" as well. So thankful to have him.

I love Thanksgiving food, too, but really love lasagna!

Sounds like you had a wonderful week!

Faith said...

So glad your hubby was willing to hang in there with the tech support! Yay for warm, thick quilts and blankets. I had to turn our heat on for the first time this week...last year I didn't need it until close to Thanksgiving (Nov for us). We are supposed to get a frost here tonite in my part of NYS...I'm glad for fleece slippers, thermal pjs and warm blankets! And your thanksgiving celebrations sound fun, yummy and relaxing for you! Great list Susanne!!

Kathie said...

Mmm that lasagna sounds so good! I think I need to put that on the menu plan. We always have the traditional on Thanksgiving (though chicken not turkey), with lots of leftovers, so I'm ready for some pasta!

Cosy beds in the fall - I love them too!

Glad your internet woes are over.

Happy weekend Susanne!

nikkipolani said...

So glad your Thanksgiving was full of good food (lasagna!!) and family-together time.

Hurray for tech-savvy husband!

Willow said...

Yay! You're up and running! I love having a 'geeky' computer savvy husband. I just hand any issue straight over to him :)

I'm glad you mentioned that your dad is allergic to turkey. My #1Son is too-and to chicken as well. I had never heard of anyone else with that allergy. We usually serve salmon and some kind of beef for holiday meals. It's just easier. Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to you~

Barbara said...

Just beautiful, love your blog I always feel very refreshed when visiting and reading here, sorry I am not here more often trying to work on that and get back to blogging myself. Have a great day. Hugs